Letter to editor: Is student housing affordable in Iowa City?

UI junior Olivia Loechner and freshman Sydney McMurray sit in a UI dorm lounge they share with three other women on Monday, Aug. 24, 2015. An overflow of students stay in residence-hall lounges converted into housing spaces until permanent accommodations can be made. (The Daily Iowan/Carly Matthew)

As students, we know that housing costs can be just as expensive as tuition. Yet all too often, living expenses are left completely out of the conversation regarding higher-education affordability. Addressing this concern has been a student-government priority all year. In fact, the University of Iowa Student Government BLOC Party team ran on the platform priority of addressing non-tuition expenses through reducing housing, food, and textbook costs. Additionally, the Graduate and Professional Student Government convened a task force to explore affordability issues at the Aspire apartment complex. Now, at the urging of student-government leadership, our university’s administrators are reviewing the affordability of on-campus and off-campus housing in Iowa City.

Additionally, the Graduate and Professional Student Government convened a task force to explore affordability issues at the Aspire apartment complex. Now, at the urging of student-government leadership, our university’s administrators are reviewing the affordability of on-campus and off-campus housing in Iowa City.

The first step in this process is to conduct a survey to better understand the realities of housing costs for UI students: How much are students spending on housing, what is the effect of those costs on your overall financial situation, and what is the quality of student housing? We also want to learn more about what affordability means to you and better understand your perceptions regarding housing in Iowa City.

We implore each and every UI student to play a role in addressing this important student issue by taking the survey this month. Your answers will inform administrators and other decision-makers about the current housing situation students face. This is your opportunity to affect future decisions by sharing your voice. If you’re not sold on these benefits alone, you also have the opportunity to win an Amazon gift card by taking the survey.

— UISG President Rachel Zuckerman, 

GPSG President Joshua Schoenfeld