Bradley too brave for Iowa

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Alex
Iowa outfielder Robert Neustrom celebrates with teammates after his grand slam during the game between the Bradley Braves and the Iowa Hawkeyes in Iowa City at Duane Banks Field on Wednesday, March 22, 2017. The Hawkeyes bats came alive to hit two grand slams and won 12-1. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

By Adam Hensley

The eighth inning proved to be yet again a deciding factor for Iowa baseball, this time working against the Hawkeyes’ favor, however.

Bradley (16-18) took down Iowa (22-13) 6-4 in the teams’ rematch in Peoria, Illinois. The loss snapped the Hawkeyes’ perfect record in midweek games this season.

Unlike Iowa’s previous 11-run advantage earlier this season in Iowa City, Bradley gave Iowa all it could handle before closing out the game in the eighth.

Up 4-3 entering the bottom of the eighth inning, the Braves churned out 3 runs, which proved to be too much for the Hawkeyes.

Iowa led 4-1 before the bottom of the seventh.

Starting pitcher Shane Ritter and reliever Sammy Lizarraga combined to pitch for the first 6 innings, allowing only 1 run and 6 hits while striking out 5.

When head coach Rick Heller subbed in Grant Judkins for Lizarraga in the seventh, things went downhill.

In 0.1 innings, Judkins gave up a double and a home run, cutting Iowa’s lead to a single run.

Nick Nelson came in to end the inning with two on base, but allowed 2 runs the following inning. Nick Green scored after a throwing error, and Jean-Francois Garon came through, giving Bradley a 5-4 lead.

Shane Ritter came in to pitch for Nelson, but couldn’t hold the Braves scoreless. Andrew Ivelia doubled to left field, and Andy Shadid scored to game’s final run.

Iowa finished with a productive outing in the hitting department. Aside from Ben Norman and Austin Guzzo, all nine Hawkeyes who saw action at the plate recorded at least one hit.

Robert Neustrom, Tyler Cropley, and Matt Hoeg each connected on 2 hits.

The Hawkeyes compiled a productive fifth inning. Hoeg singled to right field, Mitchell Boe made his way to first off a single through the right side, and Bradley’s Mitch Janssen walked Chris Whelan to load the bases with only one out.

With Mason McCoy up to bat, umpire called Janssen for a balk, sending Hoeg in to tie the game at 1.

McCoy grounded out, but his play ensured another Hawkeye run, this time from Boe, giving Iowa its first lead of the game, 2-1.

Jake Adams, the Big Ten’s home-run leader, went down swinging to conclude the fifth.

Iowa continued its scoring ways in the sixth inning, adding its third run to the board.

Norman reached first on a fielder’s choice, then stole second. A Cropley single to left-center field drove home Norman to give Iowa a 3-1 lead.

Iowa scored its fourth run of the game in the seventh inning after an error gave Adams a chance to make it home.

The Braves set the tone early, finding their way on the scoreboard first.

Bradley recorded the game’s first run after Brendan Dougherty, who singled to center field, scored off of Garon’s double into left-center field.

Iowa recorded a hit in each of the game’s first three innings until Neustrom, Norman, and Cropley fell 1-2-3 in the top of the fourth inning.

Starting on Friday, Iowa will play in its fourth Big-Ten series of the season, this time in a three-game home series with Rutgers. The first game will begin at 6 p.m. at Banks Field.