Men’s golf places second at Finkbine

Iowa junior Carson Schaake drives the ball of the tee at Finkbine Golf Course on Saturday April 16, 2016. Iowa tied for second in the Hawkeye Invitational. (The Daily Iowan/ Alex Kroeze)

The Iowa men’s golf team fought a close competition against Texas Tech at the annual Hawkeye Invitational this weekend in Iowa City at Finkbine Golf Course.

The Hawkeyes registered scores of 285 (3-under) in the second and third round to help secure them a 54-hole total of 859 (5-under: 289, 285, 285).

Texas Tech took home the title after shooting a three-round score of 855 (9-under). Kansas came in behind Iowa to secure third place with an 860 (4-under).

“It was close all day with Texas Tech and Kansas,” head coach Tyler Stith said in a release. “We could never just make up those extra shots. We were three or four back pretty much all day. Overall, I was pretty pleased with how everyone battled back. We made a couple birdies coming down the stretch to move ahead of Kansas and take second.”

One stroke was the deciding factor that put Iowa ahead of Kansas, securing them second place.

Looking at the Hawkeye roster, senior Carson Schaake led the pack. Schaake finished with a 54-hole total of 211 (5-under). He shot round scores of 69, 71, and 71 to land him fourth place overall.

Schaake used his three birdies to secure his third round 71 score (1-under) as well as his first top-10 finish and 54-hole finish of the season.

“I am very pleased with my finish. I haven’t been playing that well all year,” Schaake said in a release. “This is a tournament I’ve been looking forward to since the beginning of the season. I played really well, really solid. I made some putts at the right times and clutch shots at the right times.”

Following behind Schaake is senior Raymond Knoll and sophomore Matthew Walker tying for 15th overall. Both golfers posted rounds of 73 (1-up) to put them neck and neck.

Knoll shot two birdies, while Walker shot four to give them three-round-totals of 217 (1-over). Freshman Jack Simpson made a comeback to tie his teammates with an overall score of 217.

Simpson shot a season best two-under-par 70 in round three to make it a three way tie for 15th place with his teammates. This gives Simpson his first top-20 finish of his career as a Hawkeye.

Freshman Alex Schaake carded a three-round-total of 220 (4-over). Schaake tied for 30th place overall after shooting a one-under-par 71 in round three that included four birdies and gave him his season best 18-hole score.

Junior Sam Meuret and freshman Ryoto Furuya came in inches of each other to finish out round three.

Meuret tied for 34th overall with a 221 (5-over) 54-hole total while Ryoto finished two strokes behind with a 223. Furuya registered rounds of 74, 73, and 76 to put him in a tie for 43rd.

Freshman Alex Moorman rounded out the Hawkeye lineup in the team event, tying for 59th overall with a 227 (11-over).

Looking to the individual competition, Iowa had two golfers compete.

Freshman Benton Weinberg led Iowa in the individuals. He posted an even par 72 in the final round to bring his three-round total to 217 (1-over). Weinberg finished in a tie for 15th place overall, giving him a season best score as well as his first top-20 finish.

Sophomore Aaron DeNucci finished out the individual competition for Iowa with an overall score of 235 (19-over). He shot rounds of 79, 74, and 82 to secure a 78th place finish.