UISG backs supporting international students

By Elianna Novitch

UISG passed a resolution at Tuesday’s meeting that voiced its support and encouraged the establishment of a position for international-student support and cross-cultural integration in the Division of Student Life, in the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership.
The resolution recognized that international students face issues related to their integration into campus life. Even though resources such as International Students and Scholars Services and various international student support organizations exist, a gap remains in the involvement of international students.

The UI has more than 4,300 international students from more than 114 countries.

Much of the work being done to integrate international students into student life at the UI is being led by students themselves as seen by relationships formed between international students and domestic students during on-campus tours for incoming international students during their orientation.

The resolution stated that it is the UI’s responsibility and of the administration to identify issues, reach out to the students, and institutionalize integration initiatives instead of allowing it to fall upon students.

UISG thinks it is critical that the UI add staff to support the better integration of international and domestic students so that all students can benefit from the integration between domestic and international students.

UISG also supports the split of a staff member 50/50 between International Students and Scholars Services and the Center for Student Involvement and Leadership. This staff member will work closely with the two to support collaboration and integration between international and domestic students.

UISG plans to continue to advocate for increased collaboration between the two groups to increase international student involvement in student organizations that are not primarily composed of international students or international-student focused.

In addition, UISG will aid in the establishment of a position specifically for international student support and inclusion.

The resolution will be sent to UI President Bruce Harreld, other administrators, and all the multicultural student organizations at the UI.