UISG flashes can-do attitude

UISG voted on a resolution Tuesday to take a stance against the bill HF 575, which repeals the bottle-redemption program.
Ben Smith
Jason Dlouhy sorts cans and bottles at Can Shed on Thursday, March 23, 2017. HF 575, which has been coined the “Bottle Bill”, will amend current legislation to get rid of the 5 cent cans and bottles deposit. (The Daily/Ben Smith)

In passing a resolution on Tuesday, the University of Iowa Student Government took a stance against the HF 575. That bill repeals the bottle-redemption program, which returns 5 cents per bottle or can as an incentive for recycling.

The bottle-redemption program was established in Iowa in 1978.

Data collected on the program shows that Iowa currently has an 86 percent return rate, which is substantially higher than the national average of 29 percent.
According to the UISG resolution, removing the bottle deposit program would affect the Iowa City community and students because many individuals use the program as a secondary source of income and a way to practice sustainability.

A survey was conducted by pollster Ann Selzer and it found that nearly nine out of 10 Iowans currently deem the bottle-redemption program as “good for the state.”

Selzer’s polling found support among every demographic group, political party, congressional district, and community for keeping or expanding the existing law.

The survey’s data has also indicated that 62 percent of the poll respondents say their households redeem cans and bottles through the program.

UISG opposes HF 575 because it does not sufficiently meet the desires of the majority of Iowans. It would remove the incentive structure that has promoted sustainable practices in Iowa and would negatively affect homeless and low-income residents who rely on the program as a partial source of income.

The legislation will be sent to members of the House Committee on Environmental Protection and House Committee on Ways and Means, the Iowa City mayor, the Iowa City City Council, the sustainability coordinator of Iowa City, and the president of the Iowa Recycling Association.

­— by Elianna Novitch