UISG backs sustainability

UISG members vote during a meeting on Tuesday, March 28, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Ben Smith)

The University of Iowa Student Government passed a bill that proposed UISG create the EcoHawks Commitment of Sustainability for student organization leaders to pledge support and the enactment of sustainable practices by their organization.

EcoHawks is the overarching brand and network for sustainability at the UI. Currently, a system is in place that allows for individuals to become EcoHawks by committing to sustainability.

With the passing of the legislation, UISG will partner with the Office of Sustainability to create a similar program that encourages student leaders to pledge for their organizations to partake in sustainable practices.

“I think that when we give student leaders the opportunity to make a pledge for their entire organization, it sets a bigger precedent, and my hope is that the organizations will become better in their use of sustainability practices,” said Sen. Abby Simon.

Taking the pledge will include promoting the sustainable practices of purchasing ethically sourced apparel, organizing sustainable events where composting and recycling is mandated, promoting sustainability awareness and education through organization activities, and finally optionally having a student sustainability director position to oversee practices.

Resources shall be available for both the student organizations and leaders to encourage engagement and correct sustainablity practices.

The purpose of the new program is to engage student organizations with sustainability initiatives and empower them to practice sustainability by making it convenient for them. The program also aims to excite them by acknowledging their efforts and providing them with resources.

— by Elianna Novitch