University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld listens to a presentation during a meeting in the Reiman Ballroom of the ISU Alumni Center in Ames on Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2017. The Board of Regents will have a full board meeting on Feb. 23. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

Harreld wants to combine Foundation, alumni group

University of Iowa President Bruce Harreld announced Monday that he wishes to merge two separate organizations, the UI Foundation and the Alumni Association.

“After reviewing the committee’s recently provided report and
recommendations, it is my intention to create one, new, unified organization,” Harreld said in a message on the President’s Office website.

“Because of their overlapping missions and aspirations, a unified, comprehensive organization will allow us to better serve the university for decades to come,” he said.

In his message, Harreld noted that during the fall of 2016, he requested that the leadership of both organizations form a committee to explore ways the UI Foundation and Alumni Association could work more closely.

“By creating a new organization together, the university will leverage the strengths and expertise of both, resulting in more meaningful alumni engagement and increased philanthropic support,” Harreld said.

He has asked UI Foundation President and CEO Lynette Marshall to head the new organization.

In the message from his office, Harreld thanked the UI community for its “support and patience” as the new structure of the organization is developed.

— by Charles Peckman