Big Ten a challenge for women’s tennis

By Nicholas Moreano 

The Iowa women’s tennis team (13-3) will face Big Ten opponents for their remaining seven matches. Here is how the Hawkeyes have fared against the conference all-time.

In the matches against Big Ten opponents, the Hawkeyes are 204-297. The Hawkeyes’ best season against conference opponents was under head coach Daryl Greenan in 2006, when the team went 11-2.

Wisconsin (4-10): The Hawkeyes defeated the Badgers (6-1) in Madison on March 21. Despite the latest victory, the Hawkeyes have historically struggled against their conference opponent, posting a 9-40 record.

Minnesota (10-7): After the Hawkeyes defeated the Badgers, they went on to defeat the Gophers (4-2) two days later in Minneapolis. In the all-time series, the Gophers lead, 38-21.

Illinois (8-9): The Hawkeyes and Illini will meet at 2 p.m. March 31 at the Hawkeye Tennis & Recreation Complex. The Illini lead the all-time series 27-25. This season, Illinois is 1-5 on the road. The Hawkeyes will look to use their home-court advantage (7-0), to come out with   a victory.

Northwestern (7-8): Two days later, the Hawkeyes will host No. 48 Wildcats at 2 p.m. This matchup will be the Hawkeyes’ third ranked opponent of the season. The all-time series has been one-sided, with the Wildcats posting a 43-2 record.

Ohio State (16-2): Again, the Hawkeyes will host another ranked opponent in the No. 2 Buckeyes at 6 p.m. April 7. Currently, the Hawkeyes lead the series 23-22.

Penn State (5-8): At 10 a.m. April 9, the Hawkeyes will host the Nittany Lions. The Hawkeyes lead in the all-time series 25-6. Just like the Illini, the Nittany Lions are 1-5 on the road this season.

Michigan (11-3): The Hawkeyes will face No. 10 Wolverines at 11 a.m. on April 15 in Ann Arbor. In the all-time series, the Wolverines lead 38-12.

Michigan State (12-4): Of the 46 times the two programs have played, the Hawkeyes lead the all-time series 31-15. The Spartans are 6-1 at home and have lost their only conference game to Michigan, 4-0.

Nebraska (16-2): In the all-time series, the Hawkeyes lead 17-8. The Cornhuskers are 2-1 in the Big Ten this season, with wins against Rutgers (7-0) and Purdue (5-2) and a loss against Minnesota (4-3).

Maryland (11-3): The Hawkeyes lost, 5-2, in a road matchup earlier this season against the Terrapins. The two schools have only played three times, and the Terrapins have been the winner of every one.

Indiana (10-8): The Hawkeyes got their first Big Ten win of the season against the Hoosiers with their 6-1 victory on March 11. Despite the win, the Hoosiers still lead in the all-time series 33-11. Since the loss to the Hawkeyes, the Hoosiers went on to defeat Rutgers for their first Big Ten win of      the season.

Rutgers (5-8): The Hawkeyes and Scarlet Knights will not play in the regular season. The two schools have only played once before, and the Hawkeyes won that matchup, 6-1.

Purdue (5-10): The Hawkeyes and Boilermakers also will not face each other in the regular season. In the all-time series between the two schools, the Hawkeyes lead 25-24.