Men’s tennis up for a challenge

Iowa Lefteris Theodorous hits the ball back to his opponent, Utah’s David Micevski during the Iowa-Utah match at the Hawkeye Indoor Tennis and Recreation Complex on Friday, March 3, 2017. The Hawkeyes defeated the Utes, 4-3. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jake Markowitz

After a 1-2 showing in the eight-team USD/SDSU Invitational last weekend, the Iowa men’s tennis team will try to regain its confidence when it travels to Minneapolis to take on Minnesota on at 3. p.m. March 26.

Although the Hawkeyes did not come out with a win in every match, many members of the team showed signs of improvement.

Heading into the weekend, junior Lefteris Theodorou was in the midst of a slump, losing four-straight singles matches. However, his funk came to end, and he pulled out a singles victory and two wins on the doubles court.

“I think we learned a lot last week,” said freshman Jason Kerst. “It was the first time that we have had to compete three days in a row this season. That takes a lot out of you both physically and mentally.”

Getting back on track after two-straight losses may not come easy to the Hawkeyes (10-6, 1-1), who face a solid Gopher team ranked No. 32 in the latest rankings.

Minnesota (11-4, 0-1) is coming off a comeback win against Miami.

The Gophers were down early and had to claw back in singles, taking home the final point in a match in which freshman Stefan Milicevic won the last two sets after giving away the first one.

Besides its national ranking, Minnesota features players with spots in the rankings. Junior Martin Spec is No. 80 in singles, and he teams up with Felix Corwin to produce the 69th-ranked doubles tandem.

The Hawkeyes hope the improved play of redshirt freshman Kareem Allaf will continue and lead them to success this weekend.

Competing in the No. 3 singles spot at the beginning of the season, Allaf was slotted in No. 2 and No. 1 for the first time last weekend.

“I had a strong fall season,” Allaf said. “I got out of my comfort zone and learned to compete, and it’s carried over to spring season.”

While the Iowa don’t have anyone ranked like Minnesota, the recognition hasn’t helped the Gophers lately. After opening the season with seven-straight victories, they have split their last eight matches. Still, the Hawkeyes have respect for their opponent.

“Minnesota is a ranked team that presents a huge challenge, and I think that we are more prepared for them after a very competitive week in San Diego,” Kerst said.

Minnesota leads the all-time series against Iowa 57-36, but the Hawkeyes hope they can follow the same script as last year when they defeated Minnesota, 4-1, at home.

A win would give the Hawkeyes their first win over a ranked opponent this season.

“We have the same mentality and strategy going into every match,” head coach Ross Wilson said. “If we compete at high level, we should be successful on Sunday.”