Coltrain: Acceptance over tolerance

By Travis Coltrain

Islam is one of the fastest growing religions in the world, according to a study conducted by the PEW Research Center. It is the world’s second-most popular religion with roughly 1.6 billion people practicing it, making up 23 percent of the world’s population. PEW reports that number could grow to 30 percent by 2050.
Islam is only beaten in popularity by Christianity, which has roughly 2.2 billion followers. With both religions making up one-third of the world’s population, it’d seem obvious and reasonable that both religions are equally accepted.

Nonetheless, it’s known by everyone that all religions are not treated equally. Since the start of the 21st century, Muslims have been blasted harshly, not only in a national and local sense but an international one as well.

President Trump’s travel ban, France’s ban on face covering, and even the UK’s recent ban of carry-on laptops from select airports are obvious examples of how Islamic culture is under attack. Because of our lack of understanding, we accept these laws because we think they “attack terrorism.”

However, governments feed off of this lack of understanding by using propaganda to fill people with fear and hate. While many might say they tolerate different religious, tolerance is just another way of saying unacceptance.

But where do these fears come from? Is it really terrorism, or is it just the lack of understanding of Islam? While many want to believe it is terrorism, it’s mostly based on how little most people actually know about Islam. Many simply fear what is different, and people would rather not face their fears.

This can be showcased through the European Court of Justice’s ruling to allow workplaces to ban workers from the “visible wearing of any political, philosophical, or religious sign.” This includes all forms of headscarves.

This raises the question, what about Christian wear? Considering that 72 percent of Europe’s population follows some form of Christianity, it’s easy to say that the EU’s ruling will never really affect Christians. Nonetheless, if the EU’s ruling had the possibility of affecting Christians, it’d never have a chance.

The most common Christian dress is a cross-necklace or a rosary, which can be easily hidden. However, what about veils that nuns wear? This is where the trickery behind the rulings true intentions falls.

Nuns, people who have dedicated their lives to God, only get a chance to work in areas where the veil is already required. On the other hand, a “sister,” a woman who is in the process of becoming a nun, can get a job where the ban could take effect. She would never be affected because “sisters” aren’t required to wear veils.

The ruling was an obvious ban on the hijab, worded in a grandiloquent and sneaky manner, just as Trump’s travel ban was nothing more than a Muslim ban.

While these are obviously things we need to fight, I believe Iowa City is on the forefront of this height. Not only is the University of Iowa accepting of religious headwear, so are local Iowa City businesses.

With Iowa City being a college town, we are likely more educated, allowing us to see past the propaganda and to actually accept what is different instead of just tolerating it.

True acceptance isn’t tolerance.