Football gets back at it

By Courtney BaumannĀ 

Iowa football head coach Kirk Ferentz hosted his first press conference to talk about the 2017 season Monday afternoon at the Hansen Football Performance.

Ferentz, who is in his 19th year at the helm of the football team, talked new faces and positions in the program, described offensive strategies, and gave insight on injuries before the team starts its official spring practices this week.

New positions in the programThereā€™s been a lot of shifting in the program over the past few months. Brian Ferentz, who served as the offensive-line coach for five seasons and the running game coordinator for the past two years, was announced as the new offensive coordinator following the 2016 season. The running game will fall under his new responsibilities as offensive coordinator, and no one will take over his previous position.

Kirk Ferentz said not to expect any drastic changes when it comes to the way the offense works, but that it will be more of a nomenclature thing ā€” devising new ways of saying things and teaching that to the athletes.

ā€œThe concepts I think are typically pretty similar. You may accentuate this more than that from last year, those types of things,ā€ Ferentz said. ā€œHopefully, if weā€™re doing it right, what weā€™re trying to teach is simple enough to grasp. The real challenge is going out and doing it, doing it against good competition ā€¦

ā€œHope it looks like the ā€™15 offense.ā€

A couple of hirings within the program have moved things around a bit.

Kelton Copeland was named the new wide receivers coach in February, after coaching wide receivers at Northern Illinois, South Dakota, Coffeyville Community College, and Emporia State.

Ken Oā€™Keefe has also rejoined the Hawkeye coaching staff after spending the past five years in the NFL with the Miami Dolphins. Prior to leaving, Oā€™Keefe served as the offensive coordinator for 12 years at Iowa. He was with the Hawkeyes for 13 years total.

ā€œYou come in with guys from different perspectives, different backgrounds. Ken has been here, but heā€™s been gone for five years, five years in the NFL. So he brings a little bit different perspective certainly than what he left with,ā€ Ferentz said. ā€œThatā€™s been really helpfulā€

With the departure of 17 letter-winners at the conclusion of the 2016 season, there will be plenty of opportunities for young players to emerge as important faces in the program.

A few Ferentz has mentioned as possibilities are quarterbacks Tyler Wiegers and Nathan Stanley, as well as Nick Easley ā€” a transfer walk-on from Iowa Western ā€” and Colten Rastetter, who Ferentz announced as the starting punter for the program.

ā€œOne good thing about graduation, it does create opportunity for other players,ā€ Ferentz said. ā€œYou always hate to see outstanding seniors leave the program. Thatā€™s part of coaching in college football. But it does create a new opportunity.ā€

Injury Updates

There will be a few Hawkeyes unable to practice in time for the spring game in April. Although it was close to fully healed, senior Matt VandeBerg reinjured his foot and will need more time to recover to ensure he will be ready to go for the season. Drake Kulick will not be ready in time, either. After breaking his leg in the Nebraska game last season, Kulick had to undergo surgery. However, Ferentz has said both should be ready to go in June.

Ferentz reaffirmed the fact that Jay Scheel will no longer be a part of the team.

ā€œJay is not coming back, which is unfortunate on a couple levels,ā€ Ferentz said. ā€œThatā€™s one of the reasons weā€™re inexperienced at receiver, too. We were really counting on him. He canā€™t play.Ā  Itā€™s unfortunate.ā€