Softball loses to Drake, Kansas

Iowa pitcher Shayla Starkenburg pitches the ball during game three of the Iowa-Minnesota game at Bob Pearl Field on Sunday, May 8, 2016. The Hawkeyes lost to the Golden Gophers, 12-0 in five innings. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

Because of weather, three of the five games the Iowa softball team was scheduled to play in the Jayhawk Invitational were canceled.

The Hawkeyes went up against Drake and Kansas on March 12, losing both. Pushing their losing streak to 14 games.

Drake defeated, Iowa 11-1, and Kansas defeated it, 6-2. In their matchup against Drake, the Hawkeyes were within 1 run until the fifth inning, when they collapsed. The Bulldogs scored 5 runs in the fifth and 4 in the sixth. Iowa’s only run came from junior Allie Wood’s double in the third.

The story was the same against Kansas. The Hawkeyes were within 1 until the sixth, when the Jayhawks scored 3. The highlight of the game for Iowa was sophomore Brooke Rozier’s solo homer in the fourth inning that went over the left field fence.

The Hawkeyes were back in action March 15 against Missouri; they dropped a double-header, 9-0 and 2-0. Their losing streak is now 16 games.

— by Jacob Miller