Peaceful protest backs transgender rights

Community members gather downtown during a protest to stand in solidarity with Iowa City’s transgender youth on Sunday, March 5, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Emi Bendler)

By Emi Bendler

A diverse crowd of people filled the Pedestrian Mall on Sunday to stand in solidarity with Iowa City’s transgender youth.The rally came in response to the Trump administration’s proposal to rescind certain protections for transgender kids in school systems. The rally also addressed other political issues, such as the construction of the Dakota Access Pipeline and women’s rights.

Avinder Deol, the executive director of Transformative Healing, told the crowd to remain firm.

“As an antiviolence agency, we call this out for what it is,” Deol said. “This is an act of violence. We will not support it.”

She said protecting the nation’s students includes those who are a part of the LGBTQ community.

“It’s not just about bathrooms,” Deol said. “We know that. Just like it wasn’t about water fountains 60 years ago in the Civil Rights Movement.”

She noted that the message being sent to America’s transgender youth is students are told to constantly be in “survival mode,” and it is difficult for students to be both present in class while also wondering what their experience in the bathroom will be like.

Deol said the LGBTQ community faces an ongoing battle.

“We recognize those who fought and died before us,” she said. “We are honored to carry the torch.”

Rep. Liz Bennett, D-Cedar Rapids, also backed trans rights at the rally.

“You can pee next to me,” she said at the beginning of her speech to the group.

She said all Iowa children should get the education they deserve, and while there has been progress, there has also been a fight.

“We are in a time of struggle,” Bennett said. “We stand with you. We’ll be here for you. We’ll have your back.”

University of Iowa student Ryan McDaniel, a member of the Iowa Gay Straight Alliance, described the struggle he saw his transgender friend go through in high school and the progress that has been made for the LGBTQ community.

“Look at where we are now,” he said. “We’ve established a community in uprooted hate. Let’s ensure it does get better.”

Many speakers stood up to fight for what they believe in, but the attendees were also doing their part to show support.

UI graduate student Jennifer Angus attended the rally for her cousin who was a victim of a hate crime in Nevada, Iowa.

“I want to show support,” she said.

Angus said when she heard about what happened to her cousin, her first reaction was anger.

“I think that’s the human response,” she said.

While Angus was happy that people attended the rally, she said she was heartbroken to see that there weren’t more people standing in solidarity with the people of the transgender and non-binary community.

Both Angus and Deol stressed the importance of standing with one another in resistance.

“There’s a place for all of us in it [the fight for LGBTQ rights],” Deol said.