Softball runs into offensive monsters

Iowa second baseman Claire Fritsch swings the bat during the Iowa-Wisconsin game at Bob Pearl Field on Sunday, April 17, 2016. The Hawkeyes lost to the Badgers, 3-1. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jacob Miller

The Iowa softball team’s first-day performance at the Judi Garman Classic was underwhelming: It extended its losing streak to nine games.The Hawkeyes fell behind early in both games, and that proved to be too much for them to overcome. They lost to Florida, 8-0, and Fresno State, 11-7.

In their first matchup, against No. 3 Florida, the Gators bit early and often, leaving the Hawkeyes as swamp bait. The Gators scored 3 runs in the first, 2 in the second, and 3 more in the fourth. Unfortunately, the Hawkeyes could not generate anything offensively to counteract the Gators’ relentless scoring. Iowa was simply out matched.

In their game against Fresno State, the Hawkeyes also dug themselves a deep hole early. They allowed Fresno State to score 4 runs in the first inning and 2 more in the second. The positive angle to pull from this game is that Iowa finally generated an offensive attack. Iowa had only scored 5 or more runs in two of its previous games. This time, the Hawkeyes were able to score early: 5 in the first three innings to keep the game close, but it ultimately was too much to come back from.

Florida and Fresno State scored a combined 11 runs in the first two innings alone. If the Hawkeyes continue to break down early, it is going to be another long weekend.

The action will continue March 3 with No. 8 Washington. On March 4, Iowa will face two more ranked opponents, No. 20 Arizona State and No. 23 California.