Baseball heads to Twin Cities tourney

Iowa junior Mason McCoy swings and connects on his game-winning single against Ohio State in the second round of the Big Ten Tournament on May 27 in Omaha, Nebraska.

By Pete Ruden

It’s tournament time for Iowa baseball once again.

After picking up two wins in the Hoover Classic in Alabama last weekend, the Hawkeyes will travel to Minneapolis for the Dairy Queen Classic, in which they’ll take on Hawaii, Oral Roberts, and Minnesota in US Bank Stadium, where the Vikings play their home games.

Though it might be a little cold in Minnesota on March 3, the tournament couldn’t come at a better time for Iowa. Since the Feb. 28 game against Cornell College was canceled because of weather, the Hawkeyes are coming off a win over Morehead State, in which their offense exploded for a season-high 14 runs.

Iowa’s offensive potential was on display last weekend; they outscored teams 26-13. Just as the team’s offense has been on a tear recently, the same can be said for senior shortstop Mason McCoy.

In a week that earned him Big Ten Player of the Week honors, McCoy hit .438, with 6 RBIs, and 6 runs scored.

Leading all players in the field with a .407 average and .500 on-base percentage, the Illinois native is also leading the team with a .704 slugging percentage and tied for the team lead in RBIs with Jake Adams at 7.

The offensive prowess wasn’t a recent revelation, however, it’s something that Iowa coaches and players prepared for throughout the off-season.

With his play so far this season and that his being an upperclassman on a team full of young players, McCoy has taken a leadership role.

“We had a lot of upperclassmen last year, so I didn’t have that much of a leadership role,” McCoy said at the team’s media day. “We have a lot of young guys in the infield who really look up to me and Corbin [Woods] a lot.”

Though the pitching was a little shaky for Iowa toward the end of the weekend, Fridays and Saturdays have not been bad at all.

Nick Gallagher and C.J. Eldred have been points of pride so far this season; they both have ERAs under 2.00. Eldred didn’t play last weekend because of an injury to his ulnar nerve, and he’s not in this weekend’s projected lineup, either. Cole McDonald is slated to start on Saturday.

While Eldred has done his part, holding opponents to just a .150 batting average, Gallagher has done exactly what he has needed to. Even before the season started, the Iowa City West High product has garnered praise from his teammates.

“The way Gallagher’s been looking, the sky’s the limit for that kid,” said right fielder Robert Neustrom, who was a preseason All-Big Ten selection. “I can’t wait to see what he does in the spring.”

Just as it has been the case all season, Iowa won’t play a team that is particularly in a slump this weekend. Hawaii is 3-4, Oral Roberts is 7-1, and Minnesota is 4-2, so all of them are capable of winning games.

Though they’ve notched three wins on the season, Hawaii’s production at the plate has not been great. The players are batting just .202 as a team and averaging 2.4 runs per game.

Pitching is how the Warriors have been able to win games this year. Their team ERA is a solid 2.69, while limiting opposing batters to a dismal .219 average.

Oral Roberts is a different story, though. Noah Cummings has been on a tear for the Golden Eagles, hitting .469 with 4 home runs and 13 RBIs. If McDonald can take care of him, the Hawkeyes’ chance to win definitely increases.

While the Minnesota pitching staff has a combined 5.26 ERA, its bats lead the way. The Gophers have a team average of .339 and five players batting better than .300.

After the tournament, the Hawkeyes will return to Banks Field to take on Norther Illinois on March 7.