Pillard: Holding the lawmakers responsible during recess

Senator Joni Ernst of Iowa speaks to the crowd at the 2015 Ag Summit on Saturday, March 7, 2015. The Ag Summit allowed elected officials and public policy leaders to have a discussion with the public on issues relating to Iowa and American economy with a highlight on agriculture. (The Daily Iowan/Lexi Brunk)

By Logan Pillard

As Congress takes a recess from Washington, senators and representatives are returning to their states, holding town halls to speak to their constituents — and people have a lot to say.

Across the country, people are turning out in large numbers to voice concern over the president’s and Congress’ actions over the past month. That’s right, What has felt like a full presidential term has only been President Trump’s first month in the White House.

On Tuesday, Sens. Chuck Grassley, R-Iowa, and Joni Ernst, R-Iowa, held town-hall meetings to speak about the recent congressional actions and take questions from the citizens they represent. Each received fewer questions and more angry chants scolding the senators.

Grassley held his town hall in Iowa Falls, located in a county that turned out overwhelmingly for Trump in the 2016 election. During the hour and a half meeting, constituents bombarded him with criticisms and concerns, raising questions about his stances on issues ranging from the repeal of the Affordable Care Act to the president’s ties with Russia. Protesters also filled the room, chanting “Do your job” and “Find your spine.”

Grassley dodged questions and ignored frequent outbursts by frustrated attendees. He gave the president’s first month in office a “B-plus,” contending that Trump achieved more in his first month than any other president. While Trump has issued more executive orders than any past president, he’s also nominated the most controversial Cabinet in modern history which has yet to be completely filled, faced legal action against his immigration ban, ruled unconstitutional by a federal Court of Appeals, and has many world leaders questioning the United States and its stances on diplomacy. Grassley’s constituents, as well as the majority of America, would disagree with the senator’s gracious approval of the president’s first month, giving the president the lowest approval ratings in polling history.

Ernst received even more criticism in the small town of Maquoketa, as attendees repeated “Do your job,” a chant rapidly growing louder across the United States. The constituents’ jeers overpowered Ernst’s defenses on the repeal of the Affordable Care Act, forcing the senator to sneak out a back door following the meeting’s adjournment.

On Tuesday, after the first round of town halls across the country concluded, Trump took to Twitter to call angry crowds holding senators responsible “planned out by liberal activists.” After a controversial last week, Trump shows that this week will be no different, not only delegitimizing the free press, a constitutional right held by Americans, but also the American public as citizens address their concerns. Sad.

This expectation for unwavering support by the Commander-in-Chief is why strong turnouts at these town halls are so necessary. While the right can devalue protests as leftist snowflakes whining about losing, they can’t quiet the voice of a pig farmer in a town hall scared of losing his health insurance to an unprepared and vengeful Congress. The men and women who hold positions in the Senate and House have one responsibility above all others: to represent their constituents and their views, not the political party they belong to. It is when we hold these representatives responsible that we see change in the decisions of lawmakers.

It is when we threaten their position in government that the voices of Americans are finally heard. It is when we turn up in our local government that the 3 million more votes for the left truly hold power.