Metro Briefs

%28Wikipedia+commons%29
Picasa 2.7
(Wikipedia commons)

Throgmorton assails Trump actions

During Tuesday’s Iowa City City Council meeting, Mayor Jim Throgmorton gave the State of the City Speech.

The speech outlined the past year’s achievements, including the adoption of a new Strategic Plan, the issuing of 794 building permits, and approval of an Affordable Housing Action Plan.

The speech also looked to future endeavors, including the creation of a budget, achieving gold status for Iowa City’s bike-friendly ranking, and restoration and preservation efforts.

Throgmorton also addressed the current national political atmosphere.

“Already, we have seen the new president issue an array of executive orders concerning immigration and refugees that undermine the values that have made Iowa City such a great place to live: openness, diversity, inclusivity, and creativity,” Throgmorton said. “Thousands of immigrants, refugees, non-Christians, and others are especially at risk, and we stand in solidarity with them.”

Throgmorton also called on members of the community to help in protecting the most vulnerable of residents and act together to ensure the success of the city.

— by Naomi Hofferber

UI stiffens web security

In an effort to continue strengthening the University of Iowa’s online security, the university implemented a new two-step login process that employees need to use to access the Employee Self-Service website.

The two-step login will require employees to provide their HawkID and password and then verify their identity with something only they have in their possession, like a cellphone, office phone, or single-use codes that are generated in advance.

The two-step login will be expanded to more university web applications that use HawkID login in the future.

The new process will help prevent criminals from accessing a variety of private information in Self-Service on the Employee Self-Service website.

The Duo Mobile app is recommended for use in the two-step login in process.

When using that app, all employees will have to do is enter their HawkID and password on the website and use their mobile phone or tablet to complete the process with a swipe of their finger.

The app can also generate single-use codes that can be used to complete the second step in the process when people have no service.

UI officials believe this will come in handy for people who travel internationally to places where they may lose cellular service.

The UI first implemented the two-factor authentication in the spring of 2014 and have seen steady growth in adoption of the program since.

— by Elianna Novitch