When a drag isn’t a drag

The University of Iowa’s queer-inclusive fraternity will hold its first large drag event.

By Brett Shaw

Hunties and gentlemen, grab your wigs and lace up your boots for a premièring extravaganza of vibrant culture, accepting atmosphere, and sickening entertainment.

A new drag show produces further opportunities for people of Iowa City to participate in a lively pastime of the LGBTQ community.

Delta Lambda Phi, the University of Iowa’s queer-inclusive fraternity, will host its first drag event, titled Kings, Queens, & In-Betweens, on Saturday from 8:30 p.m. to midnight in the IMU Main Lounge.

Kings, Queens, & In-Betweens includes amateur and professional drag performances as well as rambunctious activities such as twerking contests throughout the evening. Colorful lighting and spirited music will keep the audience members on their feet, tipping performers and shouting “yasss queen.”

Because the evening will have two professional Iowa City drag queens, Myling Belle and Gina Belle, as hosts, audience members can expect a night of both glamor and outrageous comedy.

As the name suggests, Kings, Queens, & In-Betweens features performers who portray various shades on the gender spectrum. For many, drag reinforces this concept of gender fluidity. For example, one performer in the show will perform as both a king and a queen.

“Some days, I feel more masculine, some days I feel more feminine,” said Milo Alfarero, an amateur drag performer and Delta Lambda Phi member. “Drag is an opportunity to unapologetically express gender as just existing and being whoever you want to be.”

This marks Delta Lambda Phi’s first large-scale event since becoming an active chapter four years ago. Throughout its existence, it has provided an inclusive space for gay and queer individuals while also trying to improve the community.

“People start to get comfortable in our bubble of progressiveness that is Iowa City,” said Delta Lambda Phi member Hunter Gillaspie. “I think [the group] is a way for people to get involved in the LGBT community and stay active.”

Drag is popular among members of Delta Lambda Phi and represents many of the values of their organization.

“As a queer-affiliated organization, we are staying true to our history,” Alfarero said. “Drag queens were oftentimes the overly political individuals who would stand up for gay and queer rights.”

The event aims to provide safe activities for queer and gay-identifying students centered on their culture. Alfarero and Gillaspie agreed that despite the large population of LGBTQ identifiers, there is not enough of a queer presence in Iowa City. To help combat this perceived problem, proceeds from Kings, Queens, & In-Betweens will go toward providing additional events to increase that presence.

Along with Delta Lambda Phi, other LGBTQ-affiliated organizations will be contributing activities and prizes to broaden the scope of opportunities represented in the event.

“Our whole thing is making these resources known, and making our organization known, and showing that this culture exists,” Alfarero said.

Kings, Queens, and In-Betweens welcomes non-LGBTQ identifiers to experience what Delta Lambda Phi member Jacob Hasley referred to as “one of the most fun parts of our community.” By hosting a public drag show, Delta Lambda Phi hopes to make gay culture familiar to outsiders and create an understanding.

“The whole idea of drag is to wear what you want, act like you want, do whatever you want basically and have it be fine,” Gillaspie said. “So if you just have an open mind about it, you’ll have a good time.”