Guest Opinion: ‘For Iowa. Forever More.’ campaign successful

[Last] week, the University of Iowa and the University of Iowa Foundation shared the results of our historic, eight-year campaign “For Iowa. Forever More.” More than 272,000 contributors from 99 Iowa counties, 50 states and 76 countries gave $1.975 billion to support scholarships, faculty positions, research and programs, facilities, and so much more.

Support for students is our top priority. Our donors answered the call and made donations to enhance all aspects of the academic experience, including study-abroad experiences, student research and more. This also includes creating new scholarships that will support students now and far into the future. In the last fiscal year alone, more than 3,071 students were awarded scholarships, and that number will continue to grow with each passing year.
Donors to this campaign help to advance research and programs across all disciplines. Their investment in areas such as translational medicine, the arts and humanities, science, and business will not only improve knowledge and inspire creativity, it also contributes to a stronger economy and a healthier society.

Gifts also support UI Health Care, which includes Iowa’s only academic medical center that serves patients from throughout the state and the world. Donations to the campaign further research and improve patient care and helped us build a dedicated facility for our nationally ranked UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital.

We truly are grateful to everyone who donated during this campaign. While we received extraordinary gifts from our most generous donors, more than half of donors to the campaign gave $100 or less, totaling $4.6 million — an important demonstration of the collective power of our alumni and friends. More than 85,000 alumni from around the globe contributed, and more than 11,000 of our UI faculty and staff gave as well.

Private giving plays an important role in the university’s success, and this campaign continues our long tradition of partnering with the state and our network of supporters to build a flourishing university. Together, we will strengthen our academics and outreach, advance initiatives that drive economic growth and spark new breakthroughs that will benefit people here in Iowa and around the world. We are forever grateful to all who championed this campaign — for Iowa.

Lynette Marshall 

President and CEO of the UI  Foundation