Gymnastics gears up for final push

Senior Johanny Sotillo looks to get control of the bars after performing a move in the air Monday January 18th, 2016. The women’s gymnastics faced off against the University of Denver at Carver Hawkeye Arena. (The Daily Iowan/Kyle Close)

By Jess Westendorf

There are only 10 women’s gymnastics programs in the Big Ten, and the title is up for grabs. With five teams at the top with only one conference loss, it will be a battle of consistency to see who makes it all the way.

Michigan

The Wolverines are on top of the Big Ten, having only one loss, to No. 20 Ohio State. They have won their last three meets and face a struggling Michigan State. If Michigan can stay consistent, then it will be in the contention for the title.

Illinois

The Illini sit second in the Big Ten with a 3-1 conference record, 6-2 overall. Illinois has won its last two meets against Penn State and Minnesota with its only loss coming to Michigan.

Minnesota

Minnesota is the third team to sit in a four-way tie with a 3-1 conference record. The Gophers are coming off of a tough loss to Illinois, but senior Bailey Abernathy is having a great season thus far. She earned two first-place titles during the win at Ohio State. Minnesota still has time to work its way up the chain.

Nebraska

The Cornhuskers are ranked fourth in the Big Ten with impressive wins over Iowa, Penn State, and Rutgers. Their only Big Ten loss came from the hands of Michigan. Nebraska joined the Big Ten in 2011 and since then has won two conference titles. This season, eight members are returning from its 2016 NCAA Nationals team.

Iowa

The Hawkeyes are sitting in the middle of the conference with a 3-1 record and ranked fifth. Iowa has come out strong and ready to compete this season; All-American Mollie Drenth returned for her senior season as well as freshman Charlotte Sullivan, who has been on fire. The Hawkeyes only loss was a close one to Nebraska.

Ohio State

Looking back at the beginning of the season, many expected the Buckeyes to be higher up in the conference rather than a 2-2 record at sixth place. While Ohio State has wins against Michigan and Rutgers, it was upset by Iowa and Minnesota.

Penn State

Next at 2-2 in the conference is the Natty Lions. Penn State opened the season with tough Big Ten opponents Nebraska and Illinois, its only losses on the season. Penn State has wins against Maryland and Michigan State, but the Nittany Lions have not been able to pull past the top teams in the Big Ten this season.

Rutgers

Rutgers worked its way out of last place in the conference, but only by beating Michigan State. The Scarlet Knights still remain 1-3 in the Big Ten, but it will be a tough rest of the season.

Michigan State

Since the season started, Michigan State has only beaten one team, Illinois-Chicago, and lost to each of its Big Ten opponents. After watching the Spartans, they seemed unpredictable. With Michigan and Illinois on the coming schedule, it is going to be a rough end to the season.

Maryland

The Terrapins round out the Big Ten with a 0-4 record, 1-6 overall. Maryland has been pulled through the mud in the conference, and with such teams as Penn State and Rutgers coming up, it doesn’t look like things will turn around.