Guest: Honoring 23 years of a dance for life

Items in the Dance Marathon “swag bag” sits on a table during the 7th hour of the 23rd Dance Marathon at the Iowa Memorial Union on Saturday, Feb. 4, 2017. (The Daily Iowan/Courtney Hawkin)

During my first year as an undergraduate student at the University of Iowa 23 years ago, I had the good fortune to be part of an historical moment — the inaugural UI Dance Marathon. Though we were not sure at the time how many would participate in the event or how much money we could raise, we were crystal clear on our mission: to make an impact on the lives of pediatric cancer patients and families served by our Children’s Hospital.

This past weekend, thousands of UI students spent 24 hours in the IMU, dancing and raising more than $2.5 million for children who are fighting cancer. And although their Big Event is over, the students aren’t done — they volunteer and raise money throughout the year through a variety of activities. These students are extraordinary, and they are steadily — without question—making an impact on the lives of patients and families at UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital.

This year, UI Dance Marathon celebrated its 23rd year of providing vital emotional and financial support to patients and families facing childhood cancer. As the largest student-run philanthropic organization on campus, it has raised more than $21.5 million throughout the last 23 years, and it recently made a significant gift to the University of Iowa Foundation for UI Health Care: an investment of $2.2 million to establish a targeted therapies and clinical trials program for pediatric cancer patients. Last fall, involved students helped us celebrate the dedication of our new UI Stead Family Children’s Hospital and the UI Dance Marathon Pediatric Cancer Center, named in recognition of a $5 million gift from the organization used to help build our new hospital.

As vice president for health sciences development at the UI Foundation, I have the privilege to interact with student leaders of UI Dance Marathon. I am in awe of what these students have accomplished — SO much more than we could have expected 23 years ago.

It is deeply moving to witness the dedication of the dancers, as well as the courage and grace of the patients and families who receive their support.

On behalf of everyone at the UI Foundation, I would like to congratulate this year’s Dance Marathon participants, the leadership team, and all those who support them in their remarkable fight against cancer. I’m grateful for all you do …For the Kids.

— Sheila J. F. Baldwin

Sheila Baldwin is vice president of health sciences development for the University of Iowa Foundation, a nonprofit organization and the preferred channel for private contributions that benefit all areas of the University of Iowa.