O’Keefe returns as QB coach

The Iowa football program announced this afternoon that Ken O’Keefe, who served as Iowa’s offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach from 1999-2011, will return to the Hawkeyes as the quarterbacks coach.

“We are pleased to have Ken rejoin our coaching staff in this position,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a release. “Ken is an excellent teacher who brings a wealth of college and NFL coaching experience to our staff. During Ken’s years in our program, the individual growth and overall performance of our quarterbacks played a major role in the success of our football team. Ken is a key addition to our staff moving forward. He is an outstanding person and a perfect fit to our staff.”

Kyle McCann, Brad Banks, Nathan Chandler, Drew Tate, Ricky Stanzi, and James Vandenberg are just some of the quarterbacks to be coached by O’Keefe at Iowa. Five of the top 10 seasons in Iowa passing yardage were earned by those five players.

O’Keefe has worked with the Miami Dolphins for the past five years, as a wide receivers coach and offensive assistant.

“I am excited to return to Iowa as quarterback coach,” O’Keefe said in a release. “I look forward to working with Kirk Ferentz again and the entire coaching staff. I gained valuable experience in Miami the last five years, but at the same time, I am anxious to return to coaching and working with college players and being back on campus at the University of Iowa.

— by Blake Dowson