Today’s Photos (02/02/17)

The Daily Iowan; Photos by Josep
A person looks out the window on a Cambus on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017. The Cambus is free and open to the public to where many community members ride on it from work to parking lots on their commute home. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)
Greg Walker performs during a play rehearsal for Mr. Burns, a post electric play, in the Mabie Theatre of the UI Theatre Building on Monday, Jan. 30, 2017. Mr. Burns opens on Friday, Feb. 3, at 8 PM and costs $5 for UI students. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)
A mother and her daughter pose for a portrait in the Union Territory of Pondicherry, India. The daughter, a community volunteer, cared for a number of palliative care patients in her village, including her mother.
A nurse teaches a palliative care patient how to take a selfie in the Union Territory of Pondicherry, India. The nurses used smart phones to connect with doctors stationed in large cities nearby.
Recording a community volunteer story to share on the organization’s Facebook page in the Union Territory of Pondicherry, India. Palliative care awareness is low in both India and the United States—70 percent of consumers said they were “not at all knowledgeable” about palliative care in a study by the Center to Advance Palliative Care in the United States.
A palliative care patient smiles at the camera as his calf rests at his side in the Union Territory of Pondicherry, India. Before taking the photo, a nurse helped me ask for permission, translating the request into his native language Tamil.
A nurse takes a patient’s blood pressure at her home during a weekly check-up in the Union Territory of Pondicherry, India. After working as a community volunteer, she became a trained nurse through the palliative care organization.
A nurse looks over a patient’s notes during a routine check-up. The nurse I shadowed visited most patients at least once per week in the Union Territory of Pondicherry, India. Each nurse within the organization makes about 100 home visits a week.
Vero Rose Smith works in her temporary studio space in Public Space One on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2017. Rose Smith is currently working on a project based on her dreams in conjunction to the progressing phases of the moon. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)
Bailey O’Brien smokes a cigarette outside of Clinton Street Social Club on Sunday, Jan. 22, 2017 in Iowa City, IA. O’Brien has been an employee with the Social Club for over a year, and enjoys the job as she gets to meets interesting people from around Iowa City. (The Daily Iowan/Joshua Housing)