GymHawks try for second-straight win

Iowa women’s gymnast Caroline McCrady after successfully landing on the vault at the Iowa vs. Utah State meet held at Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Saturday, Jan 11, 2014. The Hawkeyes team lost to the Utah State Aggies 191.75-191.65. (The Daily Iowan/ Tyler Finchum)

The No. 22 Iowa women’s gymnastics team will return to Carver-Hawkeye to compete against Maryland on Jan. 29, seeking to earn its second victory in a row.

The competition will mark the GymHawks’ third Big Ten matchup. The GymHawks are 2-0 in the Big Ten, having defeated Michigan State and Ohio State in an upset.

In the GymHawks’ last contest, the victory on the road against the Buckeyes, eight women took home 15 season-bests. The team also set season highs on uneven bars and beam and tied its season-best on the floor.

“I think that they are good enough; I think they should come out of the gate like they did at Ohio State,” head coach Larissa Libby said. “I want to see whether they can back it up. They are capable, and I want to see them disregard every team we’re competing against, within reason, and do what they know how to do.”

The contest will show not only Hawkeye fans but Libby if her squad can be consistent each week. One major goal she stressed to the Hawks was doing what they know best: producing great gymnastics.

“Our fans make us who we are, and it is hard going on the road without them,” Libby said. “It’s so much fun to come home to people who know you and understand what you’ve been through while appreciating your gymnastics.”

It was quite the experience for the GymHawks to upset Ohio State in Columbus, but the gymnasts are ready to compete in Carver-Hawkeye.

Maryland is 1-4 thus far, losing to West Virgina, Arizona, Minnesota, and Penn State. Their 0-2 mark in conference play has them sitting in the cellar of the Big Ten.

“We are trying to build on last week,” senior Hawkeye Angel Metcalf said. “We want to do that much better this weekend. I think this team has so much to offer, and we want to show what we can do.”

Kaji earns Big Ten honor

Freshman Clair Kaji was given Big Ten freshman of the Week honors after her performance at Ohio State. Kaji won her second floor title of the season in recording a 9.900 against the Buckeyes.

The Vancouver native has earned a title at every meet thus far. She placed first on uneven bars at Northern Illinois (9.875), on beam against Michigan State (9.850), and on the floor against California (9.825).