Offseason news for Iowa football

Iowa running back Jonathan Parker attempts to break through a tackle at the UNI game at Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, August 30, 2014. The Hawkeyes beat the Panthers 31-23. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Blake Dowson

Although the Iowa football season has been over for almost a month now, there is still plenty of news pumping out of the football complex.

The coaching carousel at Iowa has died down considerably in the past week or so, and no coaching replacements have been named for the wide receivers or running backs, but there is now more shakeup at one of the positions.

Parker transferring

Jonathan Parker announced on Tuesday that he plans to transfer out of the program, days after Derrick Mitchell Jr. did the same. Parker graduated in December 2016, meaning he will be eligible immediately as a graduate transfer wherever he ends up.

Parker played in only one game in 2016 because of injuries and his place on the depth chart. He had a minimal involvement in the offense during his sophomore year in 2015, catching 2 passes and returning one kick.

He had the biggest impact as a freshman, when he showed real promise as a dynamic playmaker. That season, he rushed 16 times for 141 yards and a touchdown, as well as averaging 22 yards per return on kickoffs.

“Jonathan has made contributions to our program throughout his career, which was unfortunately hampered by injury for most of the 2016 season,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a release.  “Jonathan earned his degree in December, and we wish him nothing but the best in completing his playing career elsewhere next fall.”

Signing Day show announced

The Iowa Athletics Department also announced on Tuesday that it will air a Signing Day show, hosted by Gary Dolphin. Signing Day is a week from today, on Feb. 1.

“Swarm17,” the name of the show, will be shot live from the indoor practice facility.

Ferentz, along with defensive coordinator Phil Parker, offensive coordinator Brian Ferentz, and other members of the coaching staff will all appear on the show.

According to the release, the show will have clips playing of all the high-school players who sign to play with the Hawkeyes.

Three Hawkeyes will play in Senior Bowl

C.J. Beathard, Desmond King, and Jaleel Johnson will attend the Senior Bowl, to be played on Saturday, in hopes of improving their draft stock.

King, a two-time All American, will likely go in the first or second round of the draft.

Draft experts aren’t as sure about Beathard or Johnson, and they could use a big week in Alabama to impress scouts.

Matt Bowen, an ESPN staff writer and former Iowa and NFL player, tweeted about Johnson Tuesday.

“Senior Bowl: Iowa DT Jaleel Johnson boosted his stock today in practice. Natural power at the line of scrimmage. Quick burst off the ball. Plays with leverage, too,” the tweet said.