Iowa City sends off marchers

Women pose for a photo before boarding a bus to Washington, D.C. to take part in the Women’s March on Washington. The march drew marchers from all around the country. (The Daily Iowan/Lily Abromeit)

The people of Iowa City showed their support at the sendoff spot for the Women’s March on Washington

By Jason Estrada

Men and women gathered to support the those from Iowa City leaving to participate in the Women’s March On Washington this past weekend.

Two hours after President Trump’s inauguration, a bus arrived at the parking lot of the Old Hy-Vee on North Dodge St., where 112 women were ready to leave for Washington, D.C., on a 15-hour ride.

“The purpose of the march is to give support to the women going to the march in D.C. to protest the disrespect Trump has shown toward women and minorities,” said Iowa City resident Nancy Smith, 72.

The men and women crafted signs and wore pink hats to have their message heard. The hats were spawned as an idea by the Pussyhat Project to show their stance on women’s rights.

According to the group’s website, the color pink is a female color that represents the qualities of caring, compassion, and love. All of the hats were knitted to celebrate a tradition of women’s craft.

Although there were a lot of people that gathered at the bus stop, there were a number of people who couldn’t go to D.C. because of other commitments, yet came to support the people who were going.

Iowa City residents Nancy Johnson, 66, and Barbara Schwartz said it didn’t work out for both of them, but they stopped by for their voices to be heard.

“I am very concerned about what is coming into the White House and the impact that it’s going to have on many people, including women,” Johnson said.

“I’m very distressed … not optimistic,” Schwartz said about the election.

Two women, Quinn Dilkes, 78, and Penny Rembolt, 67, came to show their support even though they promised to go to the Women’s March in Des Moines.

Dilkes said she believes Trump is contradicting his own plans, and Rembolt said she isn’t excited about the direction the country is heading toward.

Smith was there for her grandmother, who couldn’t vote until she was almost 42 years old. Not only was Smith there for her but also because of Trump’s unsympathetic attitude toward human rights and the Standing Rock Sioux tribe.

While the march mostly consisted of a female group, there were some men in the large crowd that were going to take part in the march or passed by to support the women’s sendoff.

Iowa City resident Jack Rosazza came to cheer. He also said his wife and one of her friends had the idea of a sendoff for those on their departure.

“Well, I think what the women are doing is making an important first statement by going to Washington, taking themselves there, joining up with very large number of other people from all over the country to express their opinion to be heard as women about all of the many issues that are starting to come up,” he said.