Hawkeye men gymnasts roll over UI-C

Iowa gymnast Cyrus Dober-Mofid chalks his hands before hitting the parallel bars in Carver-Hawkeye on Feb. 1 2015. Dober-Mofid has been one of the most consistent gymnasts this season. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jess Westendorf

On Sunday, the No. 15 Iowa men’s gymnastics team defeated No. 18 Illinois-Chicago, 404.100-374.300, in its first home meet of the season.

“They did a really great job today,” head coach JD Reive said after the meet. “It was important for us to come out and get through all six rotations as well as improve upon last week, and we accomplished that.”

The Hawkeyes’ score earned the team a new season-best. There were also 12 gymnasts who finished with 29 season-bests. The team also won each event to top off the meet.

“We did accomplish a lot; we focused in our training and strength skills,” senior Andrew Botto said. “Coming back from Windy City, we obviously showed that we improved and are excited to show what the Hawkeyes are made of.”

Seniors Cory Paterson, Botto and Mark Springett, juniors Dylan Ellsworth, Austin Hodges, and Elijah Parsells, sophomores Jake Brodarzon and Rogelio Vazquez, and freshmen Andrew Herrador, Mitchell Mandozzi, Nick Merryman and Joshua Zeal all recorded season bests.

Iowa earned the highest team total of the night on vault with a 71.000 and had four Hawkeyes earn season-bests. Ellsworth earned a season-best as well as earned his second title of the season with a 14.650.

“We got back in the gym and wanted to work on hitting our routines over and over,” Ellsworth said. “We want to continue to work on getting through our routines and continue going through the season while getting better.”

Two Hawkeyes who scored season-highs on the all-around. Ellsworth took first with a score of 80.300, and Botto came in a close second with a score of 77.050.

Next up for the Hawkeyes were the parallel bars, and they took all top-six spots for the competition with a 68.150. Ellsworth took the title home with a season-best of 13.850. Brodarzon (13.800), Merryman (13.550), Hodges (13.450), and Mandozzi (13.300) recorded season-bests, and Botto tied his season best with a 13.500.

On the high bar, the Hawkeyes recorded a 66.200, and Hodges took home the first title of the competition with a season best 13.850. Last on the rotation was the pommel horse, on which the Hawkeyes scored 63.550. Hodges also took home the title to give him his second title of the competition with a 14.000.

Next up, the Hawkeyes will travel to Berkeley, California, to take on California on Feb 6.