Dorm sexual assault reported

Students walk down the T. Anne Cleary Walkway in-between classes on December 2, 2015 at the university of Iowa. (File photo/The Daily Iowan)

On Sunday, the UI police received a report of a sexual assault that occurred between midnight and 3 a.m. that day at a West Side residence hall.

According to an email, the assault was perpetrated by an acquaintance of the person.

The email iterates that the only person responsible for sexual misconduct of any kind is the perpetrator of such heinous deeds.

In addition, the email also states that in the case of such sexual misconduct, the UI encourages students to contact 911 or Iowa City police at (319) 335-5022.

The email also states “we strongly encourage victims to seek medical attention immediately, even if there are no obvious physical injuries. A sexual assault examination is free and conducted by a specially trained nurse. An examination does not obligate someone to an investigation; however, it allows evidence to be collected and preserved in the event someone chooses to authorize a criminal investigation at a later time.”

To report a possible crime, visit https://osmrc.uiowa.edu/report-problem

— by Charles Peckman