Action after inauguration

By Dot Armstrong

Well, it happened. A new president, an unprecedented president, dwells in the White House. If you were a sentient human during thepast year, you will feel something about this non-negotiable fact. You might be elated; you might be dejected. You might have a bone to pick. You might feeling like David Byrne in the video for “Once In A Lifetime” — that is, sweaty and spastic and out of breath. You might ask yourself, how did I get here? Or, like Thom Yorke circa 1995, you may wonder: Where do we go from here?

That, my friends, is the question. And I’m sure you’ve heard it before. The primary post-inauguration concern regards the future.After all the political foment, what is left? What lies ahead, now that Jan. 20, 2017, has come and gone?  Hard to say. Predictions and prognostications only go so far, and randomness is a powerful force. Better to take a Stoic’s perspective — change what you can, and prepare yourself for the rest. In lieu of a forecast, I offer my humble opinion; in place of prophecy, I proffer suggestions for action.

First, consider the numerous definitions for the noun “inauguration,” found on the Oxford English Dictionary website. “1. Formal orceremonial induction to an office or dignity; consecration, investiture, installation. 3. The formal or definite commencement or introduction of a course of action, an important era or period of time, etc.”

In “Once In A Lifetime,” Byrne expresses confusion about his conveyance into the present moment; Yorke’s lyric, too, focuses on movement. Both imply that the future is already in motion. But what is a person to do about it?

The worst thing to do right now is nothing. Whoever you are, you are facing a radically different sociopolitical landscape. You can’t change the topography of the present. But you can alter the way you navigate the years ahead. Here’s how.

Articulate your biases honestly, to start. I, for instance, am a college-educated, artistically inclined white female. Appreciating your specific ideological composition is key. After establishing the existence of personal biases, make two lists for yourself: one describing strategies for personal action and one describing collective activities in which you can participate. Consult these items in times of immobility, frustration, and/or fear.

With or without affordable health care, you can center and stabilize yourself in the midst of chaos. Try a walk outside, a few deep breaths, a journal entry. Suspend judgment, if only for a minute. Count to 10 before expressing anger. Note that you are capable of kindness. Then, confident in your ability to perform small yet relevant acts, turn your attention outwards.

The best thing to do right now is participate in your community. And by community, I’m not only describing an insular group with whom you are completely simpatico. I’m talking about humans around you: neighbors, colleagues, students, children, strangers. Make an effort to include rather than exclude. Make eye contact. Attend events, shows, and demonstrations. Read local papers and magazines. Get your news from numerous sources. Speak, write, sing, dance — in public. Instigate dialogue. Disagree without hatred. Be part of the human race.

We don’t all have to run for office or lead a protest or take down the opposition (whatever that might mean to you, dear reader) single-handedly. If you find yourself at a loss, wondering what’s next, remind yourself of the power vested in you.