Hawkeye track puts on Wieczorek Invitational

Iowa runner James Harrington hands off the baton to teammate Keith Brown in the 4×100 meter relay during the Musco Twilight at the Cretzmeyer Track on Saturday, May 2, 2015. The Iowa relay team won the event with a time of 39.66. The Iowa Track and Field team won seven events during the meet. (The Daily Iowan/John Theulen)

By Jacob Miller

The Iowa track and field team will host the Wieczorek Invitational this weekend, its third home meet of the young indoor season. The Hawkeyes will compete against Florida State, Iowa State, and Northern Iowa.

“I’m really excited about it, having Florida State, Iowa State, UNI come in,” said Joey Woody, the Iowa director of track and field. “It’s going to be a great meet, great competition, and just looking forward to going head-to-head. It’s always fun cause when it’s a scored competition, [it] just elevates everybody’s game to a whole new level.”

The Hawkeyes have had success early on this season. Redshirt sophomore O’Shea Wilson was named Big Ten Men’s Field Athlete of the Week for setting the farthest long-jump mark in the NCAA at 7.86 meters (25-9.5 feet).

It is easy to buy into early season success, but the Hawkeyes will continue training at a high level and will continue to strive for better marks.

“Everybody that’s on our team is still training at a high level,” Woody said. “We’re not backing off on our training. We have been hitting the weights hard. We are doing a lot of things in training.”

Even though Wilson set the long-jump mark in the NCAA, he will not compete this weekend. He said his preparation and training is just as vigorous, though.

“Preparation has not changed one bit,” he said. “I’ll still be the same person. I’m sitting out this Friday, so I’m just training through this just taking it day by day, taking it real simple.”

The action starts today at 11 a.m., and admission is free.