Sports Brief: Mitchell heads for grad transfer

Running back Derrick Mitchell, Jr. runs with the ball during the spring game on Saturday, April 25th, 2015. The Iowa offense and defense competed against each other in front of fans in Kinnick Stadium. The offense outscored the defense, 29-28. (The Daily Iowan/Rachael Westergard)

The Iowa backfield is a little thinner after Derrick Mitchell announced his intention to transfer away from Iowa after he graduates in May.

Mitchell will have one year of eligibility as a graduate transfer, meaning he is eligible to play next season wherever he chooses to go.

“Derrick will earn his degree from Iowa this spring and has elected to transfer for his senior season,” Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said in a release.  “Derrick was a great teammate and valuable team member during his career.  We congratulate him on earning his degree this semester and wish him good luck next fall.”

The St. Louis product found a role for the Hawkeyes in 2015 as the third- down back. As a converted wide receiver, Mitchell was a legitimate threat out of the backfield for quarterback C.J. Beathard.

With the emergence of Akrum Wadley as a reliable receiving back this season, Mitchell found his role diminishing.

Mitchell only had two carries for 12 yards this season, though one of those rushes ended up in the end zone.

Wadley, barring injury, will undoubtedly be the feature back next season. With the departure of Mitchell, sophomore Toks Akinribade stands to receive more carries for the Hawkeyes.

— by Blake Dowson