Coming together, with laughter, against Trump

Local artists come together for a fundraiser in the aftermath of Donald Trump’s inauguration.

By Brett Shaw

Comedy, music, and art simultaneously influence and are influenced by the current social and political climate. In times of controversy, they bring those of similar perspectives together through entertainment and intense emotion.

As America comes to a turning point, Iowa City performers will gather at the Mill, 120 E. Burlington St., today to make their voices heard in Last Night in America: A Night of Defiance.

The event was organized in response to Donald Trump’s presidential inauguration, which will occur Friday. Participating acts in the show are outraged by Trump’s presidency, and they refuse to sit back, quiet and complacent. Instead, they will perform pieces in a variety show as a final act of protest before Trump takes office.

“It’s disconcerting that he has become an effective avatar for a message of hate and fear that resonated with so many people,” said Colin Ryan, a performer in the show. “It is vital now that progressives find a way to do everything peacefully within our power to protect those in the cross hairs of this misdirected anger.”

The event originated following Election Night, when Megan Gogerty, a local writer/comedian and University of Iowa lecturer in playwriting, reached out to some friends with a message: They needed to do something. From there, they planned a night in which they and other local artists could channel their passion into creativity and political action.

Local actor Robyn Calhoun said the event will be as beneficial for the performers as for the audience members. They, she said, will be compelled to create something artistic and expressive about the state of the country.

“If nothing else, just working on something funny and light will help me move out of the pit of despair,” Calhoun said.

Last Night in America invites others who are angry with the future president to come together and unleash their frustrations, perhaps with some primal screaming. Gogerty said this event will provide a sense of community and remind people that they are not alone.

“We’ll band together and find a way to cope with what is impending the next day and then the next four years,” Calhoun said.

Gogerty acknowledges that the event, as with most political comedy, does not aim at changing anyone’s opinion about Trump. They will, admittedly, be preaching to the choir. But, nonetheless, Gogerty noted that, even among like-minded individuals, comedy has the power to take complicated ideas and turn them into laughter that people may use as fuel for action.

“The show is less about changing minds and more about revving up your allies,” Gogerty said.

A Night of Defiance goes beyond emotional healing and works on building community. Along with comedy and musical performances, there will be activities and speakers promoting political involvement.

Calhoun said this aims to move people from frustration to taking action such as writing congressional representatives or joining committees.

Additionally, money raised at the event will be donated to the American Civil Liberties Union of Iowa. ACLU works to protect the rights guaranteed to everyone through legal work and public education.

According to its website, ACLU is involved in approximately 2,000 legal cases at any given time.

“For us to retreat into cynicism, for us to retreat into fear, allows authoritarianism to take root,” Gogerty said. “This is my country, and I love it, and I am going to fight for it the best way I know how.”