Iowa thumps Delaware State, 89-57

Joseph Cress
Iowa forward Ahmad Wagner drives past Kennesaw State forward Johannes Nielsen during a basketball game against Kennesaw State in Carver-Hawkeye Arena on Friday, Nov. 11, 2016. The Hawkeyes defeated the Owls, 91-74 in their season opener. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The Iowa men’s basketball team moved its winning streak to five games with a 89-57 victory over Delaware State on Dec. 22 in Carver-Hawkeye. The Hawkeyes now sit at 9-5.

Senior Peter Jok once again led the Hawkeyes in scoring with 17 points. The product of West Des Moines 5-of-11 from the field, including 3-of-6 from deep. Ahmad Wagner and Isaiah Moss both scored in double figures, with 12 and 10 points.

Freshman Maishe Dailey also had a big game for the Hawkeyes, the first game in which head coach Fran McCaffery has seen Dailey contribute heavily. He finished with 8 points, 7 rebounds, and 2 assists in 21 minutes.

“Maishe has a versatility about him that’s impressive,” McCaffery said in a release. “He can laterally get his feet apart and move his feet to contain a smaller, quicker guy, but he’s 6-foot-7 and long so he can stick his nose in there on the glass and rebound with bigger guys and make 3s.”

Iowa’s next game will be its Big Ten opener, against Purdue. That contest will take place on Dec. 28 at 7:30 p.m. in West Lafayette, Indiana.

— Blake Dowson