Gerdin Center to get facelift

Gerdin Athletic Learning Center is seen on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2016. The center offers a refueling station and provides a quite learning environment for student athletes. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

The facility will receive $6.3 million in renovations in the years to come.

By Naomi Hofferber

With the study requirements placed on student-athletes, the University of Iowa provides a unique center for athletes to do homework, get tutoring, and be fed.

Within the next few years, the Gerdin Athletics Learning Center will be the recipient of several renovations. The current estimate for the work is $6.3 million.

“Our student-athletes’ study needs have changed throughout the years,” said Elizabeth Tovar, the associate athletics director for academic services. “There’s an increased need for technology in our facility. What we’re trying to do is just make sure we are up to date with the rest of the campus.”

Renovations will include the creation of more study rooms, tutoring rooms, lounge spaces, and “refueling” stations, at which athletes have access to healthy snacks. The third floor of the study center will also be completed. The state Board of Regents approved the project in February.

“The goal is to improve the space and improve the experience for student-athletes,” said Steven Roe, the director of athletic communications.

The center hasn’t been updated since it was built, in 2003, and the renovations will be funded by the Athletics Department budget and gifts.

“There’s not a specific time-frame [for the renovations] right now; we are still in the planning stages,” Tovar said.

Student-athletes are required to clock in a certain number of study hours each week, depending on their GPA, the team GPA, and year in school. UI freshman and rower Claire Rutherford said she is required to clock in four hours in her week studying at Gerdin.

“It gets a lot busier at night, when people are done with practice, but if you go during the day or in the afternoon, it can be like almost no one is there,” she said.

The center is open to students Sunday through Friday, until 10 p.m. on all days but Friday.

“I don’t think it necessarily needs the renovations, but I think it would help it a lot and it would be a lot more enjoyable for the student-athletes,” Rutherford said. “Making it a better environment for studying I think would help.”

Rutherford said she believes the center needs more outlets for phone and laptop chargers and more private study spaces.