Highlights from Kirk Ferentz and Gary ‘s presser — 12-4

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz speaks during a media press conference covering Iowa’s bowl outcome on Sunday, Dec. 4, 2016. The Hawkeyes will play Florida Gators in the Outback Bowl on Monday, January 2, 12:00 PM on ABC. (The Daily Iowan/Joseph Cress)

By Jordan Hansen | [email protected]

Iowa is headed to the Outback Bowl in Tampa, Florida where it will face the Florida Gators on Janurary 2nd.

Athletic Director Gary Barta:

• On the phone call from the Outback Bowl: “I laughed and said this couldn’t have come on a better day, we have 4-5 inches of snow here.”
  • Seemed happy Iowa got picked into the bowl. Was generally in a good mood. Pretty much the best-case scenario.

Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz:

• “We’re honored to be selected for the Outback Bowl.”
  • Talks a bit about how important it is for the team to develop. Extra practices, extra practices.
  • “It presents a tremendous challenge.”
  • Ferentz says it’s another opportunity for the team to play together. This stuff means something to them.
  • Doesn’t want to disrespect other bowls, not complaining that teams are fighting over them. Talks about how success on the field can transfer to other things.
  • The game is on the 2nd, Ferentz is talking about how it doesn’t hurt that it’s a bit later. Time to prepare themselves, time to get healthy.
  • Ferentz met with his leadership group on how to do things.
  • Iowa’s also not going down quite as early. Ferentz wants it to be more of a “business trip” perhaps as opposed to a vacation. He mentioned in his first presser after the Rose Bowl that they wanted to make prep changes. Here they are.
  • FB Drake Kulick is done for the season. Corner Manny Rugamba has an “outside shot” to play. Cornerback Greg Mabin is not going to play. Offensive lineman Croston has an “outside chance” to play.
  • On the battered secondary “We’re coming to the end of the well.”
  • But, Ferentz likes his guys and is confident that Iowa will be alright.
  • “It’s all about us improving and growing” — Ferentz on games late in the year and November.
  • On Florida: “If you look at it statistically, this game is going to be 6-3.” Jokingly. Maybe.
  • Ferentz feels this team has found it’s identity late in the year. “We just have to keep