Beating the drying out in the winter

Dry skin is a prevalent irritation during the winter months, but daily practices can go a long way in preventing this problem.

By Kasra Zarei

The start of December, particularly in the Midwest, marks the beginning of frigid, dry months of winter weather.

While hypothermia and stalled transportation represent the major difficulties experienced by many during the winter season, another problem lies in the palm of the hands.

Dry, cracked skin is a prevalent skin problem known for being worse during the winter. In addition to the cold, one of the biggest problems for the skin during the winter is the drop in humidity.

“The lower humidity doesn’t hydrate the skin as well as a high humidity environment does,” said Melissa Willis, a University of Iowa clinical assistant professor of dermatology.

The outermost layer of the skin is known as the stratum corneum and is composed of a “brick and mortar” structure of dead cells and the body’s natural oils.

To understand how the skin desiccates, consider a cake, as describes Michael Elliott, UI physician assistant in dermatology.

“Think of the layers of the skin as the layers of the cake, where the outermost layer acts as a plastic wrap that serves to keep water in the body,” he said.  “Water keeps the skin soft, pliable, and smooth, and dry skin results when there isn’t enough water due to evaporation because that protective layer, or plastic wrap, has rubbed off.”

Low humidity during the winter does not keep the skin well hydrated, but many people also do several things to exacerbate the dryness, such as turning on the heat and taking long, hot showers.

“Hot water tends to leach skin of its natural moisturizing factors more than lukewarm water does, and rubbing the skin creates more friction, leading to more inflammation,” Willis said.

The best practice to avoid dry skin consists of adopting a more conscious bathing routine.

This involves limiting bathing to five to 10 minutes in a warm bath or shower with fragrance free cleansers, followed by gentle blotting with a towel and applying thick moisturizers such as Vaseline within minutes after getting out to seal the water in the skin before evaporation occurs.

“Most of the recommendations we make are to apply thick moisturizers directly after bathing — typically, the thicker the better,” Elliott said.

When it comes to moisturizers, “the thicker the better” is a good rule.

Most hand lotions are not effective for dry-skin problems because they are too light to trap moisture.

“Ointments are better than creams, and creams are better than lotions,” said Kathleen Wittich, the UI Student Health & Wellness medical director.

While skin ointments and creams are generally not harmful, be cautious when using anti-inflammatory and itch-suppressing compounds because they can lead to allergic reactions in some people.

“With anti-inflammatory and itch-suppressing creams, there is a risk for developing allergic contact dermatitis, and you want to make sure you are applying the appropriate medication to your skin,” Elliott said.

Besides applying thick moisturizers and exercising precaution with hot showers and excessive towel rubbing, another healthy solution is to always staying hydrated.

“It is important to remain hydrated, not just on the exterior,” Wittich said. “Increased non-caffeinated fluid intake is essential in the dry months.”

Beyond maintaining one’s bodily fluids, such actions as wearing gloves outdoors, plugging in a humidifier to add moisture at home, and keeping one’s distance from open heat sources can also help in retaining water in the skin.

If the skin becomes very dry or inflamed and remains so over extended period of time, prescription ointments or creams may be required.

“Sometimes when the skin gets inflamed, topical corticosteroids or other prescription medications can be used to help calm the inflammation,” Willis said.

For most people, simple, everyday life changes during the winter season can substantially help in preventing dry skin.