UISG pushes administration on science classes

By Elianna Novitch

The University of Iowa Student Government passed a resolution on Tuesday that urges the UI to address major curricular gaps in life-sciences courses at the university.
The issue was brought to UISG’s attention by current and former biology, biomedical engineering, and environmental-science students and professors who voiced their concerns and frustration over insufficient coursework availability.

The insufficient offerings include classes in the subjects of ecology, evolution, and organismal biology, as well as insufficient fieldwork opportunities for students.

The Life Science Courses Resolution encourages the establishment of additional courses available for undergraduate students in the fields of ecology, evolution, and organismal biology, as well as the establishment of courses with an emphasis on fieldwork to encourage the application of material taught in class.

“I think this resolution will get the ball rolling with making our campus aware that we are lacking in courses offered and hopefully lead to the implementation of those courses,” said Sen. Bailey Carroll.

The resolution will be presented to university leaders, including Provost Barry Butler, President Bruce Harreld, Dean Chaden Djalali of the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences.

“I think in general this with bring awareness to different curriculum gaps we have at Iowa besides just in the life sciences courses,” said Sen. Abigail Simon.