Guest Opinion: No perfect political system in U.S. & China

I am from a country, China, that uses a very different system to choose our leaders. Because of this, American politics really fascinates me. By following the past few election cycles, I have found that many enthusiastic Iowans participated in the election to choose their leaders. However, this presidential election really gives me a pause to reflect the pros and cons about American political system. The two campaigns not only traded low blows and personal insults between the candidates, it also broadened the deep divide in the nation.

This kind of political process is not healthy for any nation when friends and family call each other names and end their friendship based on different votes. People should understand there are problems in the American political system, and have an open mind to see the advantages of other political systems.

One of the Chinese peoples’ old friends, who was recently published in The Daily Iowan, raised concerns about the Chinese political system and praised the American political system’s superiority. The arguments sound persuasive when people are not familiar with the Chinese political system. Unlike the American political system, we choose the president through a mix of democratic and collective decision-making processes. There are numerous requirements, such as governing experience and extreme vetting for presidential candidates. Current Chinese President Xi Jinping served as either governor or lieutenant governor in two large provinces in the southeast of China for more than 10 years. He started his public-service career as a small county executive to major city mayor, and he eventually became the president. If you compare that to the American election process that cost billions of dollars, take nearly two years, the Chinese political system is more efficient and chooses the candidate with less policy uncertainty.

This is not a perfect political system because the people are not actively involved in the process, which means accountability is less effective. However, this selection process reduces political uncertainty and sharpens focus on growing the economy. The Chinese political system allows the governing body to efficiently reach consent and move important resources to where they are needed.

The People’s Congress, the Chinese legislative body, has produced one of the fastest economic growths in the 21st century, which has in turn lifted millions of people out of poverty. In addition, China has had great success in organizing international events, such as the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games. The event was so well organized that International Olympic Committee award Beijing with 2022 Winter Olympics Game.

Critics usually raise serious concerns with integrity and other issues in the Chinese political system. These are legitimate issues, with corruption becoming the No. 1 concern.

China has led an anti-corruption campaign since 2013. But, as Americans know, it takes time to fix these problems. Even in the highly transparent American political system, there are still doubts and allegations about the Clinton Foundation’s quid pro quo behavior. The Political Action Committees behind different interest groups dispense millions of dollars to influence the American political landscape, which disgusts the American people. Those are the issues that also need to be addressed.

There is no perfect political system for any country. We need to understand different countries’ political systems and try to cooperate with each other and generate benefits for the people. What really is missing is people starting to listen to each other and trying to work with others who hold different values. I wish my fellow American friends can weather this tough moment and build a robust and healthy relationship with China.

— Liule Han