UI clinic probes a rare cancer: neuroendocrine

By Kasra Zarei

While cancer takes many names and forms, all types of cancer create feelings of sadness in the patients and families affected.

One of the lesser-known forms is neuroendocrine cancer, which refers to tumors that begin in neuroendocrine cells, located throughout the body but primarily in the digestive system and lungs. Despite its rarity, neuroendocrine tumors are becoming increasingly prevalent, with an estimated incidence of five cases per 100,000 people.

The internationally renowned University of Iowa Neuroendocrine Cancer program, which recently celebrated its 17-year anniversary, is filled with physicians and staff devoted to providing the best clinical care available for patients. Its researchers are making discoveries that can make cancer treatment even better.

“Neuroendocrine cancer is such a rare cancer, but we encourage recently diagnosed patients in the Midwest to come in for a visit so we can comprehensively help them,” said Thomas O’Dorisio, a UI professor of internal medicine and co-director of the Neuroendocrine Clinic.

The neuroendocrine tumors metastasize to other parts of the body.

“As with all other types of cancer, it’s not uncommon for patients to come in feeling detached,” O’Dorisio said.

O’Dorisio and staff in the clinic first use a flowchart of treatment options and strategies to decide the best treatment for each person, but even this “algorithm of care” cannot always boost the morale of patients.

“What really brightens up patients is when I tell them the lock analogy,” O’Dorisio said.

The “lock” is a type of receptor on neuroendocrine tumors that can be quantified during the patient’s first visit. These locks have keys, or hormones, that can bind to the receptors and slow the growth of the tumors.

“You need only 10 percent of these tumor cells with receptors to have an effect from the hormone and slow down the tumor from growing,” O’Dorisio said.

The unique thing about neuroendocrine tumors is the cancer spreads slowly, and patients can sometimes benefit from surgical intervention.

“We still believe in taking out the primary tumor to prevent additional, future metastases,” said James Howe, a UI professor of surgery and co-director of the clinic.

Beyond expert clinical care, the center and its team of specialists conduct research to understand the molecular biology of neuroendocrine tumors. Last year, the clinic was awarded a very prestigious, $10.67 million Specialized Programs of Research Excellence grant.

“Further understanding of the molecular biology of neuroendocrine tumors can potentially lead to earlier diagnoses and better therapies,” said Sue O’Dorisio, a UI professor of pediatrics and the principal investigator for the grant.

The main goals of the grant are to test new treatments and develop improved approaches to detecting tumors.

“We have a valuable resource by having one of the world’s largest collection of neuroendocrine tumors,” Howe said.

The research and clinical teams have come a long way over the past 17 years, as seen by the grant received last year and because the clinic has helped more than 1,800 patients to date.

As for the future, the advancement of neuroendocrine cancer research and clinical care at the UI will hopefully lead to better outcomes for patients.

“The most important thing is that the patients come back, and they have been cared for every time,” O’Dorisio said.