The truth is out there (on the Fairgrounds)

Mediums, healers, paranormal hunters and many more gathered at the Johnson County Fairgrounds for the fourth-annual Iowa City Metaphysical Expo.

By Anna Kayser

Paranormal was the theme for those at the Johnson County Fairgrounds on Nov. 5.

Different speakers presented throughout the day and booths were set up at the Iowa City Metaphysical Expo for people to purchase items or sessions of readings, healings, or whatever else the booth had to offer.

Lesa Kay Smith, a vendor at the expo, was there promoting her book *Beautiful Gift — How I Found My Son In The Afterlife*.

Smith lost her son in 2008 and afterwards received what he described as after-death communication from him.

About a year after his passing, Smith sought out a medium to speak with her son about the afterlife, what his body is like, and how he communicates. The transcripts of speaking with the medium to her son are provided in the later pages of the book.

“The book is a message of hope to others who have lost loved ones,” Smith said.

She chose to host a booth in this expo because she said she believes that a lot of people have the same spiritual beliefs, so it felt like a good fit.

Another booth at the expo was a paranormal team from Cedar Rapids called Unknown Darkness. The members have investigated paranormal activity for three to four years, and they travel all over Iowa and neighboring states.

When they arrive at a place, whether that be commercial or residential, the first thing they do is set up digital video recorders and camera equipment.

They do a sweep with electromagnetic field readers to make sure that there is no electromagnetic field coming off things like electronic boxes. Then, they start searching.

Unknown Darkness has nearly 3,000 followers on its Facebook page. The group mostly goes to commercial locations but will also do house calls, as well as give advice to people who don’t need assistance but are not sure what to do.

Once they find something — they have found many things, Hass said — they will research it, do a review of it, and then will reveal it.

The team does not work to get rid of a spirit, John Hopkins, another member of the team said, but they have people to contact if the residents wish to get rid of it.

“Our main goal is to help find it and to hopefully say who it is,” Hass said.

They chose this expo because they said they believe it is a good opportunity for people to learn more about what the paranormal is and how to deal with it.

Differing from the idea of the paranormal and the afterlife, Total Health Chiropractic of Coralville had a booth where people could come and get posture reviews and spinal measurements.

Eliud Sierra, a practice representative for Total Health Chiropractic, said they chose the expo because it was good outreach experience for overall health.

Their practice is mainly done through adjustments, which is spinal manipulation, rehabilitation, and massage therapy.

“Essentially, our big push is for wellness without the use of drugs,” Sierra said.

These are just some of the booths that were featured at the event, others included healers, palm and card readers, and vendors selling things such as stones and necklaces.