Soccer drops final match

Iowa midfielder Jenna Kentgen head butts the ball during the SDSU-Iowa game at the Soccer Complex on Friday, August 28, 2015. Due to inclement weather the game was canceled after 20 mintues of game time with no score. (The Daily Iowan/Margaret Kispert)

By Jess Westendorf

The Iowa soccer team fell to Nebraska, 1-0, in the season finale at Hibner Stadium in Lincoln on Wednesday.

Iowa fought hard to keep the score even, but in the second half Nebraska’s Jaycie Johnson found the back of the net. Haley Hanson sent over a cross from the right side of the box to find Johnson, who headed the ball in during the 49th minute.

“I am pleased that we were able to continue the upward trend of growth within this program tonight against a very good Nebraska team,” said head coach Dave DiIanni in a release. “The commitment they made to each other and the game plan was exciting to see.”

The Hawkeyes had a chance to even the score at 1 in the final minutes of the game. In the 88th minute freshman Natalie Winters sent a corner kick to redshirt sophomore Jenna Kentgen that could have sent the game into overtime, but it missed.

Nebraska outshot the Hawkeyes, 11-10, and had more corner kicks, 3-2.

“That was a highly ranked Nebraska team that we created good chances on and played a composed style of soccer,” DiIanni said in the release.

Iowa finished the season 8-11-0, 2-9 in the Big Ten.

“We will work hard throughout the off-season to use these positive strides to build momentum toward where our program is headed,” DiIanni said in the release.