UISG, UI fund to aid trans students

UISG recently passed a new student-support fund specifically for transgender students. This fund will supplement previous funds and be provided specifically for trans students working with legal issues such as name changes, new driver’s licenses, and new birth certificates.

By Addison Martin

In an effort to better support transgender students on campus, Dean of Students Lyn Redington, in tandem with the University of Iowa Student Government, has launched a new student-support fund directed toward the legal needs of students who are currently transitioning genders.

The fund will provide $1,500 each school year to students looking to further solidify their identities through legal documentation such as a name change, new driver’s license and birth certificates. This fund will be funneled through Student Legal Services.

UISG President Rachel Zuckerman said the method of funneling the money — it never goes into the hands of students — will prevent the fund from affecting students’ financial aid.

“Anything that is considered aid or a gift of some sort can change your financial-aid packet,” she said. “This way, the money will never touch the hands of the student; it goes from university office to university office. Because we pay for Student Legal Services, the service fees are already taken care of.”

Zuckerman highlighted that although this may seem like a small detail in the issue of transitioning, these small payments add up and put stress on students in already tough situations.

“The whole idea behind this, more than anything, is that students who are transitioning already have a lot of pressure on them; it’s an extremely stressful time of their life,” she said. “In many ways it’s positive, but there are medical bills that are incredibly expensive, and there are little things like this that add up, so anything we can do to support the students during this time is something we’re always eager to do.”

On the legal side of things, Christopher Malloy, the director and a senior attorney at Student Legal Services, said the fund could cover numerous students if need be.

“That would cover multiple students; there’s a $185 filing fee, and then the costs from the Student Legal Services is usually the only cost they’re [the students] covering … so approximately  $250 per person, so that’ll cover roughly six people,” he said.

Malloy said these are usually fairly standard processes, and the service is always glad to be involved in efforts that help make life easier for students.

“We are totally excited about it, and it’s a great thing … we’re happy to be involved,” he said.

Sean Finn, a UISG senator and the president of UI Trans Alliance, was integral in launching the new fund for university students.

“The idea for this project came out of a trans-awareness workshop of last year … I am hopeful that this project will profoundly improve the experiences of trans students on our campus,” he said.