Van Krik: The far right reaches abroad

By Emily Van Kirk

Marie La Pen in France and Viktor Orban in Hungary are successful far-right party members in Europe. German Chancellor Angela Merkel’s recent electoral decline similarly indicates growing far-right sentiment in Europe. This phenomenon is also seen in the U.S., where in just 13 days, millions of Americans will vote for Donald Trump to lead the free world.

The Chinese Communist Party has used recent elections as evidence of the shortcomings of democracy. Instead of reporting on domestic instances of unrest and dissent, state media frequently portray failures in democratic societies. This includes graphic depictions of police violence in the U.S. and negative remarks on the electoral success of Trump, who has been described by the Chinese as “a racist.”

Electoral success of problematic, right-leaning representatives is not only in the West. The recently elected Filipino president is equally as problematic. Rodrigo Duterte has not only soured his relationship with President Obama, but he has also cozied up to China — the very country that has repeatedly infringed upon the Philippine’s exclusive economic zone and sovereignty in the “West Philippine Sea” (more commonly known as the “South China Sea”).

The root causes of far right parties in Europe have clear foundations. Many Europeans have found themselves on the fray of globalization, fearing that their jobs have been taken and that the EU is in a period of economic downfall. Working-class Americans have had similar grievances with globalization, viewing trade deals as causal of industrial job loss.

In Europe, the replacement rate is decreasing, which indicates populations on the continent heavily consist of elderly people. This means that in the coming years EU members will likely face labor shortages.

Although this problem could be resolved by the influx of migrants, capable of replacing the workforce, widespread xenophobia and islamophobia continues to prevent more refugees from entering the European Union.

In terms of job losses, the reality stands that industrial workers in Europe and the U.S. have lost their jobs. Trade deals have increased with globalization and have led to the relocation of jobs, but technological advances have arguably had a larger effect on declining industrial jobs.

The rise of nationalist leaders in the Philippines and Asia has more precedence than in the West. After centuries of colonial rule, nations in East Asia and the Pacific have sought to define their sovereignty. This has manifested itself in the growth of nationalistic leaders.

In China, after a “century of humiliation,” is the term used to describe a period of foreign intervention and imperialism from the 19th to the mid-20th century, President Xi has sought to rebuild China’s international image and cultivate the “China Dream.” China’s annexation of the South China Sea is an example of this as it claims its people have ancestral rights over the body of water.

The election of Duterte in the Philippines makes sense to some extent — numerous Filipinos suffer from drug addiction or contribute to the drug trade in their country. The Philippines has also faced economic problems. What does not seem rational is the Philippines’ growing relationship with the Chinese, given the Philippines’ attempts to bring China to the International Criminal Court over territorial claims in the South China Sea.