Duplicity in Iowa election

With the elections heating up and accusations of Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton being bought out by certain donors, it is important to remember that this happens here in Iowa as well. As much as we would like to pretend these are strictly federal issues, we have a large degree of cronyism and corruption here in our state. Unfortunately, some of our legislators are willing to sell out their principles and constituents in order to get elected.

With the most recent campaign financial report filing deadline just passed, we have access to vast amounts of contribution information. If one were to take the time to look, it was soon be discovered who is buying your representatives.

I recently came across the reports for Jarad Klein, the Republican incumbent in Iowa House District 78. Klein has taken a pro-life stance on the issue of abortion and is even endorsed by Iowa Right to Life, a staunch pro-life group. Oddly enough, Klein accepted a donation on Aug. 29 from Pfizer PAC in the amount of $1,000. This PAC represents the Pfizer Corp., the manufacturer of Cytotec. What is Cytotec you ask? Cytotec is used in conjunction with another drug, mifepristone to induce an abortion.

Klein, a “pro-life” candidate, is receiving funding from the abortion industry. By running for office on a pro-life platform, he is engaging in an unforgivable act of hypocrisy. Abortion is a huge issue to many Iowans; for some, it is the only issue that matters. With this duplicitous act, Klein is betraying his constituents. No matter which side of the abortion argument you find yourself, I believe we can all agree that this level of cronyism, deceit, and corruption are not worthy of our vote in November. It’s time we Iowans hold our legislators accountable for their actions.

Daniel Zwick