STRUT-ting in the park

By Naomi Hofferber

Individuals of all shapes, sizes, genders, and sexual orientations strutted down a runway in heels in Hubbard Park on Thursday night for a good cause.

STRUT, a fashion show sponsored by Gamma Rho Lambda, University of Iowa Trans Alliance, Delta Lambda Phi, oSTEM (Out in STEM), and Spectrum UI gave people the opportunity to compete in a fashion show, with proceeds going to support United Action for Youth, a nonprofit that provides youths with a safe space and support in the area and have specific support for the LGBTQ community.

Individuals could pay $3 to wear heels and walk the runway or pay $10 to compete in categories including Hawkeye Pride, Executive Realness, Futuristic Fantasy, Throwback Thursday, Frightening Fierceness, and Glamazonian Glitter Extravaganza.

“We were actually inspired by a documentary, Paris is Burning. It’s a documentary that follows this idea of ball culture, which is a piece of queer history,” said Ben Ross, the president of Delta Lambda Phi. “Basically, people would get together and perform in various categories in celebration of being queer, and the documentary kind of profiles that.”

Ross said the other events of the week have been well-attended and supported.

“We connect teens to the community through art and music, and we provide a safe space — a place where people can express themselves and feel safe doing so,” said Jamie Ellis, a youth-development specialist for the United Action for Youth.

Ellis said it’s important to provide support and listen to LGBTQ youth, because it can be a challenging time in life.

Lydia Zhu, the winner of the first part of the STRUT competition, said she came to the event to support a good cause and a great community. It was not her first time on the runway.

“I was part of the Walk it Out board for the past few years at the University of Iowa, so I have some experience with stage walking,” she said.

Her best advice to people ready to strut down the runway is to “Be confident in yourself, because it shows. As long as you’re confident, other people will feel it, too.”