We Are Phil: Giving makes my heart sing

I can’t remember a time when philanthropy didn’t play an important part in my life. Recalling my childhood, I remember my parents actively raising funds for groups and causes in which they believed. They wrote letters, made phone calls, hosted luncheons, and never took “no” as a final answer. And of course, they led by example — giving to and working for a wide variety of worthy projects.

I did not inherit their intrepid fundraising spirit. Though not commonly thought of as a “retiring” person, I shy away from those direct-ask moments — they make my heart race. But I do not shy away from giving — it makes my heart sing.

I give to many places; our world has much need. But I am particularly pleased, and proud of the opportunity, to give to the University of Iowa. It is the gift of giving back by giving forward. I earned my law degree at Iowa, and I enjoyed the best career I might ever have imagined as a professor in the UI Tippie College of Business. I had, and continue to have, more opportunities from my affiliation with the university than any one person has a right to — great students, supportive colleagues, and a wonderful environment.

Upon my retirement two years ago, I requested that, in lieu of a gift, a scholarship be created to enable Tippie College students to study abroad. These international opportunities enhance education immeasurably, but without financial assistance, they may be out of reach for some students. It has been my great and good fortune to see the Nancy Hauserman Global Experience Fund created and numerous scholarships awarded.

Now, as a mostly retired professor, the opportunities continue. In my new role as president of the University of Iowa Retirees Association, I am helping to create a new scholarship, funded by association members, to support undergraduate students. How wonderful to find that even though we are retired as faculty or staff, we can continue to support the university and its fine and worthy students.

I continue to reap the rewards of my wonderful education and my career at our fine university, and I am grateful for the opportunity to give and to receive on so many levels. How can you NOT want to be a part of all this — the gift of giving?

Nancy R. Hauserman

President

UI Retirees Association