We Are Phil: Giving begins with gratitude

I’ve always been hyper-aware of the fragility and randomness of life. I guess it’s an occupational hazard. As a writer, I consider it both a blessing and a curse to forever pay close attention to the details — and to the circumstances others endure.

At no other time did this touch me more deeply than when my husband and I began building our family. Four years into our marriage, we decided it was time to take the leap that no person or book can ever prepare you to take. We are now on the 11th anniversary of our parenthood, trying to raise Alex, Lila, and Audrey to the best of our abilities.

In that time, I’ve stood witness to some terrible heartbreak. Not my own, but that of people I love and some I’ve never even met. No one tells you that the road to parenthood is fraught with peril. Along the way lies the possibility of infertility, miscarriage, stillbirth, a terrible diagnosis. And suppose, thanks to luck and miracle, your baby makes it earth side. No one tells you how to survive the news that your toddler’s development is off-track, or that your energetic, charming child has a brain tumor. We have been lucky to escape such news, so far, but we never take it for granted.

My giving story begins with gratitude.

Gratitude that my children, at this point in their lives, remain healthy. Gratitude that I can walk with friends and family through their pain. Gratitude that health insurance means I never hesitate to take my child to the doctor. Gratitude that our community has first-rate medical care at the University of Iowa — just a few short miles from my front door.

That’s why I give to University of Iowa Stead Family Children’s Hospital and other pediatric-research efforts. Whether it’s to better understand the causes of pre-eclampsia, to save more tiny babies, or to ensure that another mother doesn’t say goodbye too soon, I know the work of our UI colleagues there truly changes lives.

I can tell you our readers feel great pride and hope when they read about such efforts in the pages of Iowa Alumni Magazine. It’s been my great privilege to share these achievements, and I look forward to the inspiring stories ahead.

Kathryn Howe

2016 We Are Phil cohead

Editor, Iowa Alumni Magazine