UI Reports Sexual Assault

Tom Jorgensen/University of iowa
FILE – The University of Iowa campus looking west from Old Capitol and the Pentacrest.

By DI Staff

The University of Iowa Department of Public Safety issued a crime alert Wednesday evening regarding a report of sexual assault that occurred over the weekend at a fraternity house.

The email also detailed additional information on ways to report and receive help in light of an assault.

According to the alert, the UI received the report on Sept. 23-25, at an unidentified fraternity house. The reporting party said they arrived at the fraternity house with friends, but became separated, and then was assaulted by an unknown assailant.

The alert also states that the only person responsible for sexual misconduct was the perpetrator. The department also emphasised in its email that “it is a violation of university policy to engage in sexual activities without clear consent from your partner” and that “someone incapacitated due to alcohol or drugs cannot consent to sexual activity.”

In the alert, the department strongly encourages victims to “seek medical attention immediately, even if there are no obvious physical injuries.”

A student or employee in violation of UI’s sexual misconduct policies  faces sanctions up to and including, expulsion or termination, according to the email.

To report a crime, the department encourages the public to call the police at 911 or to contact UI Police at (319) 335-5022. Individuals also have the option to make a university policy complaint. The Office of the Sexual Misconduct Response Coordinator is available to explain and answer questions about reporting options.

Other options for self-care after an assault, include contacting the Rape Victim Advocacy Program at (319) 335-6000 or by visiting their website.