VandeBerg gone, possibly for season

Iowa wide receiver Matt VandeBerg runs with the ball in Kinnick Stadium on Saturday, Sept. 5, 2015. The Hawkeyes defeated the Redbirds, 31-14.

No panic, Kirk Ferentz says, after the Hawks’ top receiver goes down with an injury

By Jordan Hansen

While Iowa head coach Kirk Ferentz said the team wasn’t in crisis mode after losing wide receiver Matt VandeBerg to injury, possibly for the remainder of the season, it is an absolutely brutal loss for the team.

VandeBerg, the team’s leader in catches, receiving yards, and touchdown receptions, hurt his foot Monday morning in practice. There is no timetable for his return, and Ferentz did not exactly make clear the nature of the injury.

“He’s going to be out for a significant period of time here, and we’ll just have to deal with that,” Ferentz said. “He’s worked extremely hard, playing really well. Anytime there’s an injury, it affects that individual the most, and that’s first and foremost in our minds, but as we all know, it’s part of football, so it provides opportunity for other players, and they’re going to have to step up and get the job done for us.”

In VandeBerg’s absence, the Hawkeyes will need players to emerge. Jerminic Smith, who has had a decent start to the season, will likely see the ball thrown his way much more often now. Jay Scheel is also a name that’s been thrown in the mix, and tight end George Kittle will continue to factor in heavily.

However, the Hawkeyes still have eight more regular-season games, and there’s a lot of football to be played. Iowa loves talking about its “next man in” mantra, which will be put to the test.

“I feel bad for Matt. He’s a big part of the offense and a big part of the team,” quarterback C.J. Beathard said. “More than anything, I feel bad for Matt and his family. Prayers to him because that’s a tough time. Matt will be missed, but it’s an opportunity for another player to get in there and show what he can do for us.”

VandeBerg has never taken a redshirt year, and there is a significant chance he might be able to gain an extra year of eligibility.

Right now, he has played in four games, one fewer than what Drew Ott played last year. The NCAA rules state that in order to receive a medical redshirt, a player must have played in 30 percent or fewer of their team’s games.

VandeBerg will be at 33 percent, assuming he doesn’t set foot on the field again this season. If Iowa makes it to the Big Ten Championship game, he would be at 28.6 percent. Bowl games do not count for eligibility reasons.

Regardless, having never taken a redshirt year and with how close he is to 30 percent, there’s a good chance it might go through. Of course, that is if VandeBerg opts to stay another year in college.

There’s always the chance he could go pro and test his luck in that direction. Ferentz did little speculation on that front but did say he would go through the appeals process.

“We really haven’t had a lot of time to discuss it or research it,” Ferentz said. “I won’t even try to predict, but hopefully, there will be some leniency there.”

Coluzzi wins weekly award

Placekicker and punter Ron Coluzzi was awarded the Big Ten Specia Team Player of the Week honor following an impressive outing at Rutgers.

All of his kickoffs were touchbacks, and he did not allow any punt-return yardage. He also boomed a 55-yard punt early in the game and is averaging 43.19 yards per punt this year.

“It means a lot,” Coluzzi said about the award. “It means more to the team than just me. The coaches have done a tremendous job of putting together a game plan, and executing it was just the next step.”

Other injury updates

Running back Derrick Mitchell Jr. has been a full participant in practice so far this week and seems likely to play Saturday.

He will provide some much-needed depth at the position.

Wide receiver Adrian Falconer is injured and hasn’t played this season. Jonathan Parker, a name that hasn’t been heard in awhile, might be back this week. Parker is another wide receiver and could very well figure into the offense with VandeBerg out.

Last, tight end Jon Wisnieski is also still out for the foreseeable future.

“He’s starting to get back into it a little bit,” Ferentz said. “He missed a lot of time.”

Follow @JordyHansen for Iowa football news, updates, and analysis.