Nebraska coach backs protesting players

AP
Nebraska linebacker Michael Rose-Ivey (15), defensive end DaiShon Neal (9) and linebacker Mohamed Barry (7) kneel during the national anthem before the team’s NCAA college football game against Northwestern in Evanston, Ill., on Saturday, Sept. 24, 2016. Rose-Ivey said Monday he and his family have received racially charged criticism on social media, and said the responses show why the protest is necessary. (Matt Ryerson/Journal Star via AP)

By Mario Williams

San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kapernick started a trend of protesting during the national anthem earlier this football season, and many athletes across America have followed suit.

Three Nebraska football players — linebackers Michael Rose-Ivey, Mohamed Barry and defensive end DaiShon Neal — kneeled during the national anthem on Sept. 24 when the Huskers competed against Northwestern.

After their actions, a member of the university’s Board of Regents requested the three players be kicked off the program.

“As we looked at what’s been going on in this country — the injustices that have been taking place primarily against people of color, we all realize there is a systematic problem in America that needs to be addressed,” Rose-Ivey told Omaha.com. “We felt it was our duty to step up and join the chorus of athletes in the NFL, the WNBA, college, and high school using their platforms to highlight these issues. We did it understanding the implications of these actions.”

Nebraska head coach Mike Riley spoke with members of the media on the Big Ten’s weekly teleconference and noted that he believes Rose-Ivey’s comments and actions didn’t come overnight and that he’s a very aware person.

“He was thoughtful about it and told the team about it,” Riley said. “Everyone should be reminded that this is America, and we have a right and opportunity to say what we feel and how we feel.”

Aside from outside noise, Nebraska played a well-rounded game last weekend. It’s something the Huskers should be content and confident about.

Starting quarterback Tommy Armstrong Jr. threw for 246 yards and compiled 132 rushing yards, with a touchdown and no interceptions. He was also named Big Ten Offensive Player of the Week. The Huskers will face Illinois at home on Saturday.

Tale of two unbeatens

No. 8 Wisconsin will travel to No. 5 Michigan this weekend.

The Badgers rolled over Michigan State on Sept. 24, and the Wolverines crushed Penn State, as expected.

Wisconsin head coach Paul Chryst looks forward for the opportunity to play the Wolverines. He noted that Michigan is playing at a high level and is a well-coached team.

“We need to have a good week of preparation and try to be as prepared as we can,” he said.

One of the many challenges the Badgers will have to face is the fierce defense of the Wolverines. Michigan leads the nation in sacks.

“I’ve been impressed with how quick they are in transition,” Chryst said. “It’s a really good defense with good players. You can’t focus on one, two, three, or four guys. They’re all really good football players. There’s no magic against it; you have to be on and play.”

Ohio State

The 3-0 Buckeyes team will open up Big Ten play this weekend at home against Rutgers.

Rutgers is coming off a 14-7 loss at home to Iowa.

Rutgers head coach Chris Ash will be reunited with Ohio State head coach Urban Meyer. Ash served as the co-defensive coordinator and safety coach for the Badgers during the 2014 season.

“They’re playing their tails off,” Meyer said. “They were inches away from beating a very good Iowa team. He’s got that thing going. They’re playing very hard, and he’s got a good system.”